Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
The first half of 2014 was an eventful time in Utah sports, even without college football games. It was a historic time for the Jazz, full of ups and downs both on the court and off. Several teams and players had tremendous performances throughout the state. There were reported violations at BYU and talk of impending doom for its athletic program. There were titles won, opportunities squandered, records broken, awards received, body parts lost and much more.
If this list misses any great performances or stories, or if a ranking is debatable, leave feedback in the comments. Based on reader feedback, there could be a Version 2.0 of the awards published.
Note: High school teams and coaches were not considered for most awards simply because of the sheer volume of programs in the state.
Here now, from the best teams and players to the craziest stories and biggest off-field winners and more, are the Utah Sports Ruckus 2014 half-year sports awards:
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26