Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
The first half of 2014 was an eventful time in Utah sports, even without college football games. It was a historic time for the Jazz, full of ups and downs both on the court and off. Several teams and players had tremendous performances throughout the state. There were reported violations at BYU and talk of impending doom for its athletic program. There were titles won, opportunities squandered, records broken, awards received, body parts lost and much more.
If this list misses any great performances or stories, or if a ranking is debatable, leave feedback in the comments. Based on reader feedback, there could be a Version 2.0 of the awards published.
Note: High school teams and coaches were not considered for most awards simply because of the sheer volume of programs in the state.
Here now, from the best teams and players to the craziest stories and biggest off-field winners and more, are the Utah Sports Ruckus 2014 half-year sports awards:
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 91
- Dick Harmon: Why NCAA's wise decision... 4
- Layton junior high wrestler loses... 3
- Morning links: 4 Utahns on ESPN 300... 3
- Ranking the 38 Utah ties selected in... 3
- High school baseball: Herriman rallies... 1
- One week left to vote for favorite... 0
- High school soccer: Bingham rallies... 0