Mental conditioning expert Justin Su'a has compiled a book of tips to help teens develop a winning mindset and become a champion in life.
The three main categories he coaches in "Mentally Tough Teens: Developing a Winning Mindset" (Cedar Fort, $12,99) are motivation, building confidence and overcoming adversity. Su'a, who is a membef of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, writes in the introduction of the 128-page book, "I don’t know why you picked this book up, but I know why I wrote it: to help you develop the mindset necessary for success in whatever you do."
These tips are organized in a teen-friendly manner: one on each page, direct and to the point on how to be successful.
Win the morning: Su'a encourages teenagers to wake up every day on purpose and with purpose.
Do one more: One more homework problem or minute of practice will set a successful teen apart from the average teen.
Don't expect immediate results: Su'a likens success to a slow cooker, not a microwave.
Think strong: What a person says about himself or herself builds confidence the most.
Calm your nerves: Anxiety doesn't come from the situation itself but how one prepares for and interprets it.
Live in the present: Su'a advises readers to not let past experiences affect their confidence in future choices.
Learn from failure: Su'a reminds teens that no one likes to fail or mess up, and truly successful people learn from those mistakes and become better.
Take a time-out: When the pressure of life gets to be too much, Su'a tells teens to take a time-out to slow down and take a break.
Stop complaining: Su'a instructs teens to do something about their situation rather than complain about it.
- Would BYU honor code be better with an...
- Faith and fame: Former 'Dancing With the...
- Elder and Sister Renlund speak during BYU...
- LDS leaders announce new teaching manual,...
- LDS Church outlines how it prevents child...
- Mormon man's rap album hits No. 1 spot on...
- Why pray? Different faiths are united over...
- Sister Linda K. Burton speaks at BYU Women's...
- Would BYU honor code be better with an... 81
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Defending the Faith: Taking a 'Leap of... 36
- ... 35
- New poll finds Americans less likely to... 34
- Should your boss know that you keep the... 26
- Kasich calls for balance on gay rights,... 23
- The benefits some families see from... 16