Jazz rookies Exum, Hood talk first pitches, fashion and basketball with TrueHoop TV
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
It's been a whirlwind schedule for Jazz rookies Dante Exum and Rodney Hood since they were selected by Utah during the first round of last month's NBA draft.
That hasn't slowed, as the duo are currently in Las Vegas for NBA Summer League play. In between their first and second games in Vegas, the first-year pros sat down with TrueHoop TV to discuss a variety of topics, including how the process has gone thus far.
Exum, the Australian guard who just turned 19, has averaged 8.0 points, 3.0 assists and 2.5 rebounds during Utah's first two summer league games, with a matchup against Denver on Tuesday afternoon.
"The thing with Australians is, we're very competitive. We want to win, and we'd do anything for our teammates," Exum told Kevin Arnovitz in a video posted on ESPN's website. "That's one thing I'm trying to bring to the Jazz. It's not that people should fear us, I just think that it's that attitude we (bring) into the game."
Hood captured the attention of the NBA Summer League crowd by leading the Jazz summer league team to an 87-71 victory over Milwaukee on Monday, scoring 29 points while hitting 7-of-10 3-pointers. Hood also had five assists and two steals.
Draft night turned out to be an adventure for Hood, who said he was given advice to wear a big, jewelry-studded watch for the event.
"I'm not a big jewelry guy. I don't wear watches," Hood said. "They said to do it for the draft and I did it. Every single second, I was shaking people's hands and I was looking to make sure every diamond was there.
"It was cool, but then people took it overboard saying I bought it, which I haven't even got my NBA paycheck yet. It was kind of funny."
Not everything in their busy schedule recently has been about basketball. Arnovitz talked to both players about their experience about throwing out the first pitch at a recent Salt Lake Bees game.
"Well, it got there," said Exum, who one-hopped his pitch. "I think that was the main thing about it that was good."
Hood, who got his pitch over the plate, said, "I wish I could go back and do it again."
Exum also discussed the type of basketball game he likes to play.
"I like to play an up-and-down tempo, open floor," he said. "I think in today's game, pick and roll dominates the game. Coach Quin (Snyder) is the same way."
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 78
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 29
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 27
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14