Letter: Pioneer Day is about religious freedom for all Americans
The Mormons' entry into this valley in 1847 is commemorated by the celebration of Pioneer Day on July 24th. The fact that Pioneer Day is a state holiday should not cause employers to ignore or shun it because of their perception that it is “only about Mormons.” Pioneer Day is not just about Mormons but about religious freedom for all Americans.
The early state legislators recognized the sacrifices made by people of all faiths for religious freedom and chose to set this day aside as a state holiday beneficial to all Utahns. Mormons and non-Mormons alike should recognize these pioneer men and women as those who had the courage to live and fight for their beliefs. They should ask their employers to grant them the right to honor this day and give it the respect it deserves.
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA fool you...
- In our opinion: After change to state pension...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- Letter: Methane benefits
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to end...
- In our opinion: Time to phase out federal...
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 71
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 62
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 45
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 38
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 27
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 22