Rick Bowmer, Associated Press
GRANTSVILLE — A man who died over the weekend after jumping into a huge ceremonial bonfire at a Utah event similar to Burning Man was identified Monday as Christopher Wallace.
The incident happened about 11 p.m. Saturday at the Element 11 festival in Grantsville.
Grantsville Police Lt. Steve Barrett said the Salt Lake man had told some of the estimated 1,200 attendees he planned to run into the fire. Barrett said the three-story-tall effigy had been burning for about 30 minutes when the man crossed safety lines and jumped in.
Barrett says firefighters immediately tried to douse the flames, but were unable to save the man. Crews measured the fire temperature at 2,000 degrees just prior to the apparent suicide.
— Associated Press
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- YouTube star Stuart Edge hopes to inspire...
- Missing Millard County woman's body found...
- Teen leads Humane Society service project to...
- Co-workers help Syracuse mother conquer daily...
- South Carolina woman dies on Sundance zip line
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 21
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 12