Rick Bowmer, Associated Press
GRANTSVILLE — A man who died over the weekend after jumping into a huge ceremonial bonfire at a Utah event similar to Burning Man was identified Monday as Christopher Wallace.
The incident happened about 11 p.m. Saturday at the Element 11 festival in Grantsville.
Grantsville Police Lt. Steve Barrett said the Salt Lake man had told some of the estimated 1,200 attendees he planned to run into the fire. Barrett said the three-story-tall effigy had been burning for about 30 minutes when the man crossed safety lines and jumped in.
Barrett says firefighters immediately tried to douse the flames, but were unable to save the man. Crews measured the fire temperature at 2,000 degrees just prior to the apparent suicide.
— Associated Press
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- California man drove to Vernal for sex with...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Utah kids have lower death rate, but more...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 78
- Gov. says Utah will comply with law if... 59
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- Union Pacific train makes special... 13