Rick Bowmer, Associated Press
GRANTSVILLE — A man who died over the weekend after jumping into a huge ceremonial bonfire at a Utah event similar to Burning Man was identified Monday as Christopher Wallace.
The incident happened about 11 p.m. Saturday at the Element 11 festival in Grantsville.
Grantsville Police Lt. Steve Barrett said the Salt Lake man had told some of the estimated 1,200 attendees he planned to run into the fire. Barrett said the three-story-tall effigy had been burning for about 30 minutes when the man crossed safety lines and jumped in.
Barrett says firefighters immediately tried to douse the flames, but were unable to save the man. Crews measured the fire temperature at 2,000 degrees just prior to the apparent suicide.
— Associated Press
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Fallen hiker had passion for the outdoors,...
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Provo company creates program that filters...
- West Jordan, Murray residents search for...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 56
- Vernal man claims police arrested him... 37
- Utah argues for more time to file... 33
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 27
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22