My son is almost 23 years old and lives with mental retardation, cerebral palsy, sensory disorder, behavioral disorder and a cecostomy tube.
When we moved back to Utah we had high hopes for a bright future. However, what we have found is that there are waiting lists for every service proved here unless you have the money to pay out of pocket.
According to the United Cerebral Palsy Organization, Utah is at number 43 out of 51 for the services they provide for the intellectually and developmentally disabled.
All Medicaid waiver programs are managed through The Division of Services for People with Disabilities. Many people with intellectual and developmentally disabilities end up in state care or group homes in order to receive benefits that would cost far less than if they could receive them while living in their own communities and homes.
Salt Lake City
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act needs...
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'?
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- The relationship between religiosity and...
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- My view: A global warming solution to grow...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 67
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 63
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 53
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 37
- In our opinion: Use market forces and... 35