Utah Jazz 'ecstatic' for Charlotte-bound Marvin Williams
Tom Smart, Deseret News
LAS VEGAS — A big smile emerged on Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey's face when Marvin Williams' name was brought up in an interview.
The former Jazz forward agreed to terms with Charlotte — two years for $14 million, per Yahoo Sports — and Lindsey couldn't be happier.
"We're just ecstatic for Marvin," Lindsey said.
Williams spent the past two seasons in Utah after being traded from his original NBA team, Atlanta, in 2012. The 28-year-old, who was the No. 2 pick of the 2005 draft, averaged 9.1 points and 5.1 rebounds this past season while playing a stretch-four role for the Jazz.
The Jazz went another direction for their bigs last week when they traded for forward Steve Novak, a deadly 3-point shooter who's trying to bulk up to defend larger power forwards.
Utah is also willing to go forward with bigs Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter, Rudy Gobert, Jeremy Evans and perhaps nonguaranteed guys Malcolm Thomas and/or Erik Murphy.
But Lindsey believes Williams' career was helped by the Jazz having him transition from a small forward to a stretch four. The GM is also appreciative of his contributions in Utah, especially during the 25-57 season.
"He, in some ways the last two years, led our group. He kept a very young troop tighter," Lindsey said of the former Tar Heels player. "Really North Carolina is a second home for him. We were thrilled that he got a good contract with a good team."
Lindsey said that on the same day the Jazz spoiled the Hornets' plans for Gordon Hayward by matching the small forward's four-year, $63 million deal.
Congrats to Marv Willams on the new contract..— Derrick Favors (@dfavors14) July 13, 2014
- MVP Jimmer Fredette puts on a show at the...
- Emery scores 31 as BYU crushes Santa Clara,...
- Dick Harmon: Unique perspectives from new...
- Jimmer Fredette named D-League All-Star MVP,...
- Dick Harmon: The night the rim got wide as a...
- Former BYU, Davis High runner Jared Ward...
- Jazz's trio of Rising Stars reflects on...
- 5A state swimming: Sky View girls surprise...
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to... 73
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 61
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 50
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 45
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Morning links: Kyle Van Noy, Eric... 38