Brendan Sullivan, Deseret News Archives
SALT LAKE CITY — Country music artist Jo Dee Messina will headline the entertainment acts for the 78th annual Salt Lake County Fair.
Messina, who released her new album "Me" in March, will take the Grandstand Arena stage for a free concert, Wednesday, Aug. 6, at 8 p.m. Newcomer Dillon Scott will be the opening act. Free acts will continue throughout the week such as the Salt Lake Pops Orchestra and Jamestown Sound, Nathan Osmond and a “Star Search” competition.
The fair is Aug. 6-9, from 11 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. at the Salt Lake Equestrian Center, 2100 W. 11400 South. The four-day event will feature entertainment, carnival attractions, a demolition derby, contests, a car show, a petting zoo and indoor exhibits.
For the second consecutive year, the fair will hold the talent competition “Salt Lake County Star Search," on Friday, Aug. 8, from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Each contestant will be given a two-minute time slot to perform. Prizes and cash will be awarded to the top three winners in adult, youth and children categories.
The cost is $10. Entrants receive a free parking pass for the night of the contest and an official Salt Lake County Fair T-shirt. Ten spots are available for each age category. Entries are now being accepted and will be filled on a first-paid basis.
Concerts and the entertainment lineup at the Salt Lake County Fair are free, but some tickets are required. Tickets are now available for the Jo Dee Messina concert at Mountain America Credit Union, Burt Brothers, Salt Lake County Fair Grounds and at all Salt Lake County Parks and Recreation facilities. A complete list of ticket venues is available on the Salt Lake County Fair website saltlakecountyfair.com.
Entrance into the fair is free, but there is a small fee for parking.
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- 'Our lives have been better for having her,'...
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as national...
- Landslide remediation plans emerge amid...
- How do I know if I'm ovulating?
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 68
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 34
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 33
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 23
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 20
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 20