Brendan Sullivan, Deseret News Archives
SALT LAKE CITY — Country music artist Jo Dee Messina will headline the entertainment acts for the 78th annual Salt Lake County Fair.
Messina, who released her new album "Me" in March, will take the Grandstand Arena stage for a free concert, Wednesday, Aug. 6, at 8 p.m. Newcomer Dillon Scott will be the opening act. Free acts will continue throughout the week such as the Salt Lake Pops Orchestra and Jamestown Sound, Nathan Osmond and a “Star Search” competition.
The fair is Aug. 6-9, from 11 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. at the Salt Lake Equestrian Center, 2100 W. 11400 South. The four-day event will feature entertainment, carnival attractions, a demolition derby, contests, a car show, a petting zoo and indoor exhibits.
For the second consecutive year, the fair will hold the talent competition “Salt Lake County Star Search," on Friday, Aug. 8, from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Each contestant will be given a two-minute time slot to perform. Prizes and cash will be awarded to the top three winners in adult, youth and children categories.
The cost is $10. Entrants receive a free parking pass for the night of the contest and an official Salt Lake County Fair T-shirt. Ten spots are available for each age category. Entries are now being accepted and will be filled on a first-paid basis.
Concerts and the entertainment lineup at the Salt Lake County Fair are free, but some tickets are required. Tickets are now available for the Jo Dee Messina concert at Mountain America Credit Union, Burt Brothers, Salt Lake County Fair Grounds and at all Salt Lake County Parks and Recreation facilities. A complete list of ticket venues is available on the Salt Lake County Fair website saltlakecountyfair.com.
Entrance into the fair is free, but there is a small fee for parking.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- California man drove to Vernal for sex with...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay...
- A photographic look at how Days of '47 floats...
- Utah kids have lower death rate, but more...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 78
- Supporters rally around breast-feeding... 73
- Gov. says Utah will comply with law if... 59
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14