Ex-Tabiona High coach admits to sexual-related crimes with student
TABIONA, Duchesne County — A former Tabiona High School teacher who was fired in December entered into a plea deal Friday on the same day he was charged with sex-related crimes with a student.
Two criminal charges were filed against Shay Alfred Price, 34. He pleaded guilty to unlawful sexual conduct with a 16- or 17-year-old, and pleaded no contest to distributing pornography to a person under 18, according to prosecutors. Both are third-degree felonies.
As part of the plea deal, Price arranged to be booked and released Friday from the Duchesne County Jail pending sentencing on Sept. 15. No contest pleas are treated as guilty pleas at sentencing.
Price abused his victim from about August of 2007 until February of 2011, according to charging documents.
"I began an inappropriate relationship with a 15-year-old minor at the time, and during the course of time, I requested that the minor provide me with nude photographs of herself and to perform oral sex on me," Price admitted in court documents.
The pornography distribution and sexual conduct occurred while the victim was 17, the charges state.
In his termination letter from the Duchesne County School District, school officials noted that Price refused to cooperate with the district's internal investigation and lied to administrators "in a prior investigation of similar matters."
Price had worked at Tabiona High since 2004. In addition to teaching career and technology education classes, he has also coached baseball, boys basketball and track.
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Doug Robinson: How this woman's focus on...
- 4 arrested in connection with fatal Cedar...
- Midvale killing may be case of self-defense,...
- Pregnant woman killed in collision with...
- Man shot in crowded Liberty Park during...
- See all the photos from the big Pioneer Day...
- Salt Lake man shoots 8-year-old boy, then...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 84
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 65
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17