Singer-songwriter Colbie Caillat enjoys going without makeup, and her latest music video, "Try," proves it.
In an effort to remind women to be true to themselves, Caillat features herself without makeup in the video while focusing on the importance of not succumbing to the ideals others place on you.
In the music video, nine women are shown with their hair and makeup done. Then each woman begins to remove the makeup from her face.
This idea for the video came to Caillat after she met with Kenneth “Babyface” Edmonds, a song writer and record producer.
"I told him that before coming to the studio I wanted to look pretty, so I had my nails done, I made sure I had the best outfit on, I had my hair and makeup artist come over and make me look all polished," Caillat told Elle magazine.
"And the thing is that I like myself when I’m not that way, but I feel like other people might not like me that way. And I know that most women go through that. When you have blemishes on your skin, gain weight, or my friend has crooked teeth, or my mom’s roots are going gray. And everyone is trying to hide their faults from each other when we all have it."
This discussion led Caillat to write lyrics that could combat the constant pressure she feels to be what others expect. Throughout the song, Caillat lists these pressures, building up to a proclamation, "Wait a second, why should you care what they think of you. When you're all alone by yourself, do you like you?"
Caillat shared the video on Twitter and said: " 'Try' is the first video I’ve never prepared for. Didn't go tanning or diet or heavily workout ... and it felt wonderful!"
In an interview with Glamour, Caillat shared how important the song is to her.
"The song was from experience. I do try very hard. I think all girls — especially in this business — have to be polished, and if you don't, then you're the one who looks bad. It's a lot of pressure," Caillat told Glamour.
" ... Little by little I'm trying to remind myself and other people. I don't want to sound like I'm preaching to people, because I'm not doing that, but it's reminders for us all (that you don't have to try)."
Email: email@example.com | Twitter: @Sarah_DNews
- 3 Utah mothers to compete in U.S. Olympic...
- Valentine's Day is the day to see loved ones...
- What 'shared parenting' is and how it can...
- The heart of the matter: What your pulse says...
- The Clean Cut: Kelly Clarkson announces...
- Doris Kearns Goodwin: 'Tell and retell...
- Erin Stewart: To my husband on Valentine's Day
- Creators of Love Taza blog encourage...
- What 'shared parenting' is and how it... 3
- Valentine's Day is the day to see loved... 2
- Doris Kearns Goodwin: 'Tell and retell... 1
- Erin Stewart: To my husband on... 1
- The Clean Cut: Chicago Blackhawks... 0
- Creators of Love Taza blog encourage... 0
- Orchestra of Southern Utah Children's... 0
- The heart of the matter: What your... 0