Singer-songwriter Colbie Caillat enjoys going without makeup, and her latest music video, "Try," proves it.
In an effort to remind women to be true to themselves, Caillat features herself without makeup in the video while focusing on the importance of not succumbing to the ideals others place on you.
In the music video, nine women are shown with their hair and makeup done. Then each woman begins to remove the makeup from her face.
This idea for the video came to Caillat after she met with Kenneth “Babyface” Edmonds, a song writer and record producer.
"I told him that before coming to the studio I wanted to look pretty, so I had my nails done, I made sure I had the best outfit on, I had my hair and makeup artist come over and make me look all polished," Caillat told Elle magazine.
"And the thing is that I like myself when I’m not that way, but I feel like other people might not like me that way. And I know that most women go through that. When you have blemishes on your skin, gain weight, or my friend has crooked teeth, or my mom’s roots are going gray. And everyone is trying to hide their faults from each other when we all have it."
This discussion led Caillat to write lyrics that could combat the constant pressure she feels to be what others expect. Throughout the song, Caillat lists these pressures, building up to a proclamation, "Wait a second, why should you care what they think of you. When you're all alone by yourself, do you like you?"
Caillat shared the video on Twitter and said: " 'Try' is the first video I’ve never prepared for. Didn't go tanning or diet or heavily workout ... and it felt wonderful!"
In an interview with Glamour, Caillat shared how important the song is to her.
"The song was from experience. I do try very hard. I think all girls — especially in this business — have to be polished, and if you don't, then you're the one who looks bad. It's a lot of pressure," Caillat told Glamour.
" ... Little by little I'm trying to remind myself and other people. I don't want to sound like I'm preaching to people, because I'm not doing that, but it's reminders for us all (that you don't have to try)."
Email: email@example.com | Twitter: @Sarah_DNews
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds, high...
- Salt Lake chef wins round in 'Holiday Baking...
- 5 tips for digitizing photos
- ‘Miracle baby’ born on cruise...
- The Clean Cut: 7-year-old sings Australian...
- Al Fox, James the Mormon discuss Thanksgiving...
- Payson mom releases Christmas album after...
- Sherry Young: Family's hearts are longing for...
- What influences your opinions on... 21
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Where Wyatt Earp walks the streets:... 4
- Brooding 'Mockingjay — Part 2'... 3
- Santa makes grand entrance, elaborate... 2
- 5 tips for digitizing photos 2
- Chris Hicks: After all these years,... 1
- Motherhood Matters: Making it through... 1