Deseret News archives
SALT LAKE CITY — FamilySearch is looking for 50,000 or more indexers and arbitrators to help set a record for the most volunteer indexing participants online in a single day, according to a news release.
The Worldwide Indexing Event is scheduled to start at 6 p.m. MDT on Sunday, July 20, and go for 24 hours to 5:59 p.m. on Monday, July 21. Local start times and status updates can be found on the FamilySearch Facebook event page.
Indexing is transcribing information from historical documents to make them searchable online. Arbitrators, who are advanced indexers, check to ensure consistency and accuracy in the process.
Since FamilySearch indexing started in 2006, this crowdsourcing effort has produced more than 1 billion searchable records, according to the news release.
To be counted in the record, each indexer or arbitrator must submit at least one indexing or arbitration batch during the 24-hour period. Volunteers and potential volunteers can visit familysearch.org/indexing for information.
Indexing projects are available in English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, German, Polish, Swedish, Dutch, Russian and Japanese. Volunteers are invited to work on any project but are strongly encouraged to work in their native language.
FamilySearch’s previous one-day record was 49,025 individual contributors, set on July 2, 2012.
- Mormon thrill ride creator still generating...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in women's retail
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- BYU-Idaho students form brotherhood of...
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- LDS World: Western author Wallace Stegner...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 297
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 141
- Religious groups react to Boy... 77
- Do contraceptive rules make religious... 43
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 31
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 27
- America welcomes Christians, Jews;... 21
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in... 10