“Yeah, when you get in and your adrenaline is up, you just want to run, run, run. It kind of took me a bit to kind of settle down and start playing my game,” he said. “My shots weren’t falling tonight, but it was just about getting my teammates the ball, and I think I did that well.”
Hood, whom the Jazz were delighted to snatch up with their second first-round pick, was probably the most impressive offensive player among the 15 Summer League participants. He hit from the outside and showed some offensive creativity with deft moves against defenders and near the basket.
“I had a little jitters just going out there for the first time — me and Dante both,” Hood said. “Once I got going, it was good. We got into a little rhythm, so it was good.”
The Jazz were given the day off Friday, and they’ll begin their NBA Summer League action Saturday night in Las Vegas against Philadelphia. Utah will play at least five games in the tournament, which wraps up on July 21.
Utah can only hope to get the kind of support at the Thomas & Mack Center over the next week or so as it got at home on this night, a crowd that included Jazz center Derrick Favors, by the way.
“It’s Salt Lake City. I know how much the fans love the Jazz. We feel the same way about them. We embrace that,” Burke said. “It kind of shocked us all when we went out here seeing how many people was out there. It’s good to know we’ve got the support from the city and we look forward to going to Vegas and trying to win the whole thing.”
Snyder cracked a joke to the crowd about the support he's received since being hired to replace Tyrone Corbin this offseason.
"I've been out in the community," he said. "I hope the greetings are as warm and friendly midseason as they are now."
EMAIL: email@example.com, TWITTER: DJJazzyJody
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Live streams: 1A volleyball tournament...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- High school football: Parry's Power Guide for...
- BYU football: Five questions with a Middle...
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 79
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 52
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 34
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32