Brandon Davies aiming for offensive improvement at NBA Summer League
John Raoux, AP
“One thing I learned is to be an ‘everything guy’ — making sure my effort was there every day,” he told CSN Philly's John Finger. “Whether it was in practice or in a game. I just need to be the guy they can count on in both ends of the floor.”
Davies will join the 76ers team that is participating in the Las Vegas Summer League, which runs from Friday through July 21. Philadelphia opens the tournament with an 8:30 p.m. MT matchup against the Utah Jazz on Saturday.
Davies struggled on offense during his first season in the NBA, when he averaged just 2.8 points per game. He shot 42.2 percent from the field while playing in 51 games; Davies also shot just 64.2 percent from the free-throw line. Both percentages were fourth worst on a 76ers team that finished with a 19-63 record.
The former Cougar did show a glimmer of hope, however, in the team's final two games last season. In a victory over Boston, he made 5 of 6 shots from the field and added a free throw to score 11 points. Two days later in the regular-season finale, Davies hit both of his free-throw attempts and 4 of 6 from the field, including a 3-pointer, to score 11 points in a win over Miami.
Still, it's defense that helped the former Cougar earn his playing time last year. According to Finger, the 6-foot-10 forward averaged two steals per 48 minutes as a rookie.
The effort is being noticed.
“He’s been great. Ever since he showed up here last year, he’s been one of the hardest workers — one of the first guys into the gym and one of the last guys to leave,” Chad Iske, the Sixers’ head coach for the Vegas summer league team, told Finger.
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU past...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in University...
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- Jazz center Rudy Gobert gets pushy with...
- BYU focusing on bowl game while players'...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 51
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 50
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 30
- Ute football team has boots on the... 28