Brandon Davies aiming for offensive improvement at NBA Summer League
John Raoux, AP
“One thing I learned is to be an ‘everything guy’ — making sure my effort was there every day,” he told CSN Philly's John Finger. “Whether it was in practice or in a game. I just need to be the guy they can count on in both ends of the floor.”
Davies will join the 76ers team that is participating in the Las Vegas Summer League, which runs from Friday through July 21. Philadelphia opens the tournament with an 8:30 p.m. MT matchup against the Utah Jazz on Saturday.
Davies struggled on offense during his first season in the NBA, when he averaged just 2.8 points per game. He shot 42.2 percent from the field while playing in 51 games; Davies also shot just 64.2 percent from the free-throw line. Both percentages were fourth worst on a 76ers team that finished with a 19-63 record.
The former Cougar did show a glimmer of hope, however, in the team's final two games last season. In a victory over Boston, he made 5 of 6 shots from the field and added a free throw to score 11 points. Two days later in the regular-season finale, Davies hit both of his free-throw attempts and 4 of 6 from the field, including a 3-pointer, to score 11 points in a win over Miami.
Still, it's defense that helped the former Cougar earn his playing time last year. According to Finger, the 6-foot-10 forward averaged two steals per 48 minutes as a rookie.
The effort is being noticed.
“He’s been great. Ever since he showed up here last year, he’s been one of the hardest workers — one of the first guys into the gym and one of the last guys to leave,” Chad Iske, the Sixers’ head coach for the Vegas summer league team, told Finger.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 107
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 32
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20