Kyle Beckerman returns to training for Real Salt Lake, while Nick Rimando sits out
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
SANDY — Real Salt Lake captain Kyle Beckerman put in a full day of training with the team Wednesday afternoon at America First Field in Sandy.
Nick Rimando, on the other hand, opted out of Wednesday’s training session, but RSL coach Jeff Cassar assured the media afterward that it was just another step in helping the goalkeeper's body recover from training at the World Cup.
“He’s doing great. It was left open to him to stay in (at Rio Tinto Stadium), so he’s back doing running. But he’s just getting his body back and he’ll be ready to go,” said Cassar.
For RSL defender Nat Borchers, having the duo return from the World Cup has brought leadership back into a club that was without them for over a month.
“Having both Nick and Kyle back has been really good just purely on a leadership standpoint,” said Borchers. “They’re just so good in the locker room and on the field making decisions, so it’s great to have them back.”
I FEEL YA: Cassar watched the disastrous 7-1 defeat of Brazil by the Germans in the semifinal round of the World Cup on Tuesday. As a former goalkeeper, Cassar had a bit of sympathy for Brazil ‘keeper Julio Cesar when the barrage of goals rained down on him.
“It was hard to watch, especially because it was a goalkeeper in MLS. But it happens, and (Cesar) is an unbelievable professional. It doesn’t happen a lot in a career, but when it does it stings really bad,” Cassar told reporters. “I’ve been on a team that has, and those stick around for a long time and it’s tough to get rid of them.”
FEAR THE BEARD: What started as a small goal has now transformed into a beard that can rival Beckerman’s dreadlocks — the beast is Borchers' beard.
“It’s just growing, and I’m just enjoying it,” said Borchers when asked how long his beard would be around.
Follow Conner on Twitter: TheConner88
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Report: ACC changes stance, now considers BYU...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start employing...
- Utah secures commitments from two of Utah...
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies report he...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 65
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 53
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 45
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 38
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35