Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — This year, 19 farmers markets in Utah will be accepting food stamp benefits, including seven markets accepting them for the first time.
Customers can use their Horizon card, a debit-like card in which food stamps are dispersed, to buy a variety of fresh and local food including fruits and vegetables, meats, dairy, eggs and more.
Utahns Against Hunger has recruited five of the new markets using a USDA grant through the Department of Workforce Services, including the Roosevelt Farmers Market, Provo Farmers Market, Syracuse Farmers Market, Benson Gristmill Farmers Market in Tooele and the VA Hospital Farmers Market.
The Moab Farmers Market and Real Rood Rising, a youth farming program of Utahns Against Hunger, will also be accepting food stamps for the first time this season.
With so many markets implementing the program this year, other organizations are coming on board to support food stamp customers who shop at these markets as well. Food $ense, a program of the Utah State University Extension, will be offering cooking demonstrations, nutrition education and food storage information at several of the markets.
In addition, the 9th West Farmers Market (formerly the People’s Market) will be offering matching funds again this season. For every food stamp dollar a customer spends at their market, they will match that money up to $10 to buy additional produce. The Downtown Farmers Market in Salt Lake City will also be launching a similar program in September in conjunction with Eat Local Week.
• VA Farmers Market: Wednesdays 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Aug. 13-Sept. 17, VA Medical Center, 500 Foothill Drive, Salt Lake City
• Benson Grist Mill Farmers Market: Saturdays, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., July 12 to mid- October, Stansbury Park, 325 state Route 138, Tooele
• Moab Farmers Market: Thursdays, 5-8 p.m., June 5 to mid-October, Swanny City Park, 100 W. Park Drive, Moab
• Provo Farmers Market: Saturdays, 9 a.m.-2 p.m., June 7-Oct. 25, Pioneer Park, 500 W. 100 South, Provo
• Roosevelt Farmers Market: Thursdays, 3:30-6:30 p.m., July 3-Sept. 25, 130 W. 100 North, Roosevelt
• Syracuse City Farmers Market: Wednesdays, 5-9 p.m., July 9-Oct. 1, Centennial Park, 1891 W. 1700 South, South Syracuse
• Real Food Rising Farm Stand: dates and times TBD, 1080 W. 500 South, Salt Lake City
• Happy Valley Farmers Market: Fridays, 5-9 p.m., Aug. 1-Oct. 24, Robinson Park, 100 E. Main, American Fork
• Cedar City Downtown Farmers Market: Wednesdays, 4-7 p.m., July 23- October, behind Bulloch Drug, 100 W. Hoover St., Cedar City
• Park Silly Sunday Market: Sundays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., June 8-Sept. 21, Historic Main Street, Park City
• Ogden City Farmers Market: Saturdays, 8 a.m.-1 p.m., July 12-Sept. 27, Municipal Gardens, 25th Street and Grant Avenue, Ogden
• The Downtown Farmers Market: Saturdays through Oct. 25, 8 a.m.-2 p.m., and Tuesdays, August-October, 4 p.m. to dusk, Pioneer Park, 300 South and 300 West, Salt Lake City
• 9th West Farmers Market (formally People’s Market): Sundays through October, 9 a.m.-2 p.m., International Peace Gardens: 1000 South and 900 West, Salt Lake City
• Utah Botanical Center Farmers Market: Thursdays, July 10-Sept. 25, 5-8 p.m., Utah Botanical Center, 875 S. 500 West, Kaysville
• Cache Valley Gardeners Market: Saturdays through Oct. 18, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Horseshoe/Willow Park, 500 West and 700 South, Logan
• Sugarhouse Farmers Market: Fridays, July 11-Oct. 17, 4-8 p.m., Sugarmont Plaza: 2227 S. Highland Drive, Salt Lake City
• University of Utah Farmers Market: Thursdays, Aug. 28-Oct. 9, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. University of Utah Tanner Plaza, 201 S. 1460 East, Salt Lake City
• IRC (International Rescue Committee) Farm Stand: Saturdays, 1-3 p.m. through Oct. 11, Sunnyvale Apartments, 764 W. 3940 South, Murray
• Murray Park Farmers Market: Fridays and Saturdays, 9 a.m.-2 p.m., July 25-Oct. 25, Murray City Park, 200 E. 5200 South, Murray
Food stamps can be used to purchase eligible food items as well as plants and seeds that produce food. Customers should keep their eye out for banners or posters directing them where do go at these market to use their Horizon Card.
- Does it really matter if you grew up rich and...
- Win or lose, discrimination suit is having an...
- Balancing act: 'Soft skills' are important at...
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for handling a child's...
- What 'The Office' teaches us about job...
- Looking for a job near home? Good luck, it's...
- Embracing change: Utah County leaders examine...
- In rare deal, Boehner, Pelosi tout wins for...
- Why you should begin planning for... 9
- In rare deal, Boehner, Pelosi tout wins... 5
- Economy is recovering despite wage... 5
- Does it really matter if you grew up... 4
- The middle class has had a rough couple... 2
- 2015 mortgage rate trends: What house... 1
- For business, more women in charge... 1
- What 'The Office' teaches us about job... 1