Audio/video: Jimmer talks youth camps, bullying, free agency; Provo mayor honors former BYU star
PROVO — BYU standout and NBA free agent Jimmer Fredette returned to Provo this week for the fourth annual Jimmerosity Basketball Camp.
In addition to teaching young people basketball skills, he admonished them to look for ways to combat bullying in their schools and online. The best way, he told the nearly 300 young basketball players on Wednesday, is to make sure everyone is included, whether it's in a classroom, at lunch or on a playground.
Provo Mayor John Curtis joked that he hoped Jimmer would return to Utah some day — even if he never plays for the Utah Jazz. He said he asked the 25-year-old New York native if he'd be interested in running for mayor.
"He didn't say no," Curtis said to laugher.
Curtis then read a proclamation declaring July 9, 2014, "Share Your Jimmerosity Day." It's a day meant to encourage people to do something good in their communities and to make families the focus of their daily lives. After taking questions, including some very direct and tough ones, from the young players, Fredette met with about a dozen media members to discuss his camp, the causes close to his heart and his free agency.
He said he's had enough interest from NBA teams to know that he will not be playing overseas next year. He said he was confident he'll be playing in the NBA, but he needs to wait for the big-name free agents to sign before he can consider specific offers. He said the one team he and his agent have not heard from is the Utah Jazz.
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Rock On: Utah has LeBron Syndrome
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 224
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 75
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 53
- ACC media days has some interesting... 42
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 42
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 33
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 29
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 24