Audio/video: Jimmer talks youth camps, bullying, free agency; Provo mayor honors former BYU star
PROVO — BYU standout and NBA free agent Jimmer Fredette returned to Provo this week for the fourth annual Jimmerosity Basketball Camp.
In addition to teaching young people basketball skills, he admonished them to look for ways to combat bullying in their schools and online. The best way, he told the nearly 300 young basketball players on Wednesday, is to make sure everyone is included, whether it's in a classroom, at lunch or on a playground.
Provo Mayor John Curtis joked that he hoped Jimmer would return to Utah some day — even if he never plays for the Utah Jazz. He said he asked the 25-year-old New York native if he'd be interested in running for mayor.
"He didn't say no," Curtis said to laugher.
Curtis then read a proclamation declaring July 9, 2014, "Share Your Jimmerosity Day." It's a day meant to encourage people to do something good in their communities and to make families the focus of their daily lives. After taking questions, including some very direct and tough ones, from the young players, Fredette met with about a dozen media members to discuss his camp, the causes close to his heart and his free agency.
He said he's had enough interest from NBA teams to know that he will not be playing overseas next year. He said he was confident he'll be playing in the NBA, but he needs to wait for the big-name free agents to sign before he can consider specific offers. He said the one team he and his agent have not heard from is the Utah Jazz.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26