Audio/video: Jimmer talks youth camps, bullying, free agency; Provo mayor honors former BYU star
PROVO — BYU standout and NBA free agent Jimmer Fredette returned to Provo this week for the fourth annual Jimmerosity Basketball Camp.
In addition to teaching young people basketball skills, he admonished them to look for ways to combat bullying in their schools and online. The best way, he told the nearly 300 young basketball players on Wednesday, is to make sure everyone is included, whether it's in a classroom, at lunch or on a playground.
Provo Mayor John Curtis joked that he hoped Jimmer would return to Utah some day — even if he never plays for the Utah Jazz. He said he asked the 25-year-old New York native if he'd be interested in running for mayor.
"He didn't say no," Curtis said to laugher.
Curtis then read a proclamation declaring July 9, 2014, "Share Your Jimmerosity Day." It's a day meant to encourage people to do something good in their communities and to make families the focus of their daily lives. After taking questions, including some very direct and tough ones, from the young players, Fredette met with about a dozen media members to discuss his camp, the causes close to his heart and his free agency.
He said he's had enough interest from NBA teams to know that he will not be playing overseas next year. He said he was confident he'll be playing in the NBA, but he needs to wait for the big-name free agents to sign before he can consider specific offers. He said the one team he and his agent have not heard from is the Utah Jazz.
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 103
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 15
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 5