Audio/video: Jimmer talks youth camps, bullying, free agency; Provo mayor honors former BYU star
PROVO — BYU standout and NBA free agent Jimmer Fredette returned to Provo this week for the fourth annual Jimmerosity Basketball Camp.
In addition to teaching young people basketball skills, he admonished them to look for ways to combat bullying in their schools and online. The best way, he told the nearly 300 young basketball players on Wednesday, is to make sure everyone is included, whether it's in a classroom, at lunch or on a playground.
Provo Mayor John Curtis joked that he hoped Jimmer would return to Utah some day — even if he never plays for the Utah Jazz. He said he asked the 25-year-old New York native if he'd be interested in running for mayor.
"He didn't say no," Curtis said to laugher.
Curtis then read a proclamation declaring July 9, 2014, "Share Your Jimmerosity Day." It's a day meant to encourage people to do something good in their communities and to make families the focus of their daily lives. After taking questions, including some very direct and tough ones, from the young players, Fredette met with about a dozen media members to discuss his camp, the causes close to his heart and his free agency.
He said he's had enough interest from NBA teams to know that he will not be playing overseas next year. He said he was confident he'll be playing in the NBA, but he needs to wait for the big-name free agents to sign before he can consider specific offers. He said the one team he and his agent have not heard from is the Utah Jazz.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 55
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 54
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48