Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SANDY — First-round play at the Web.com Utah Championship is scheduled to get under way Thursday morning at the Willow Creek Country Club. The state’s only official PGA Tour event, which concludes Sunday, has a $625,000 purse with the winner collecting a $112,500 payday.
The field of competitors includes defending champion Steven Alker, who shot a 22-under 262 last year and defeated Ashley Hall in a one-hole playoff for the title, and 2011 winner J.J. Killeen.
Local standouts Tony Finau, Zac Blair, Clay Ogden and Chris Moody are also among the challengers.
“We’re going to have a lot of support here for the Utahns," Finau said. "I know we have a special bond with a lot of the guys that will come out and watch us and stuff. So I’m excited about the week, for sure.”
This is the 23rd time that Utah has hosted a Web.com Tour event.
Past participants include Keegan Bradley, Stewart Cink, John Daly, Jason Dufner, David Duval, Ernie Els, Jim Furyk, Lucas Glover, Zach Johnson, Shaun Micheel, Tom Lehman, Webb Simpson, David Toms and Bubba Watson.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28