Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SANDY — First-round play at the Web.com Utah Championship is scheduled to get under way Thursday morning at the Willow Creek Country Club. The state’s only official PGA Tour event, which concludes Sunday, has a $625,000 purse with the winner collecting a $112,500 payday.
The field of competitors includes defending champion Steven Alker, who shot a 22-under 262 last year and defeated Ashley Hall in a one-hole playoff for the title, and 2011 winner J.J. Killeen.
Local standouts Tony Finau, Zac Blair, Clay Ogden and Chris Moody are also among the challengers.
“We’re going to have a lot of support here for the Utahns," Finau said. "I know we have a special bond with a lot of the guys that will come out and watch us and stuff. So I’m excited about the week, for sure.”
This is the 23rd time that Utah has hosted a Web.com Tour event.
Past participants include Keegan Bradley, Stewart Cink, John Daly, Jason Dufner, David Duval, Ernie Els, Jim Furyk, Lucas Glover, Zach Johnson, Shaun Micheel, Tom Lehman, Webb Simpson, David Toms and Bubba Watson.
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU defense, offense being noticed for...
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big part...
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5
- BYU confirms Jim McMahon will be inducted...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 137
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 103
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 59
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 47