Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SANDY — First-round play at the Web.com Utah Championship is scheduled to get under way Thursday morning at the Willow Creek Country Club. The state’s only official PGA Tour event, which concludes Sunday, has a $625,000 purse with the winner collecting a $112,500 payday.
The field of competitors includes defending champion Steven Alker, who shot a 22-under 262 last year and defeated Ashley Hall in a one-hole playoff for the title, and 2011 winner J.J. Killeen.
Local standouts Tony Finau, Zac Blair, Clay Ogden and Chris Moody are also among the challengers.
“We’re going to have a lot of support here for the Utahns," Finau said. "I know we have a special bond with a lot of the guys that will come out and watch us and stuff. So I’m excited about the week, for sure.”
This is the 23rd time that Utah has hosted a Web.com Tour event.
Past participants include Keegan Bradley, Stewart Cink, John Daly, Jason Dufner, David Duval, Ernie Els, Jim Furyk, Lucas Glover, Zach Johnson, Shaun Micheel, Tom Lehman, Webb Simpson, David Toms and Bubba Watson.
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 85
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 70
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 55
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 36
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 33
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 31