Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SANDY — First-round play at the Web.com Utah Championship is scheduled to get under way Thursday morning at the Willow Creek Country Club. The state’s only official PGA Tour event, which concludes Sunday, has a $625,000 purse with the winner collecting a $112,500 payday.
The field of competitors includes defending champion Steven Alker, who shot a 22-under 262 last year and defeated Ashley Hall in a one-hole playoff for the title, and 2011 winner J.J. Killeen.
Local standouts Tony Finau, Zac Blair, Clay Ogden and Chris Moody are also among the challengers.
“We’re going to have a lot of support here for the Utahns," Finau said. "I know we have a special bond with a lot of the guys that will come out and watch us and stuff. So I’m excited about the week, for sure.”
This is the 23rd time that Utah has hosted a Web.com Tour event.
Past participants include Keegan Bradley, Stewart Cink, John Daly, Jason Dufner, David Duval, Ernie Els, Jim Furyk, Lucas Glover, Zach Johnson, Shaun Micheel, Tom Lehman, Webb Simpson, David Toms and Bubba Watson.
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 23
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 13