Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SANDY — First-round play at the Web.com Utah Championship is scheduled to get under way Thursday morning at the Willow Creek Country Club. The state’s only official PGA Tour event, which concludes Sunday, has a $625,000 purse with the winner collecting a $112,500 payday.
The field of competitors includes defending champion Steven Alker, who shot a 22-under 262 last year and defeated Ashley Hall in a one-hole playoff for the title, and 2011 winner J.J. Killeen.
Local standouts Tony Finau, Zac Blair, Clay Ogden and Chris Moody are also among the challengers.
“We’re going to have a lot of support here for the Utahns," Finau said. "I know we have a special bond with a lot of the guys that will come out and watch us and stuff. So I’m excited about the week, for sure.”
This is the 23rd time that Utah has hosted a Web.com Tour event.
Past participants include Keegan Bradley, Stewart Cink, John Daly, Jason Dufner, David Duval, Ernie Els, Jim Furyk, Lucas Glover, Zach Johnson, Shaun Micheel, Tom Lehman, Webb Simpson, David Toms and Bubba Watson.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 55
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 47
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 44
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 12
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8