USU football: Wyatt Houston named to John Mackey Award Watch List
Ravell Call, Deseret News
Utah State sophomore tight end Wyatt Houston was named to the 2014 John Mackey Award Watch List, it was announced Tuesday by the National College Football Awards Association. The John Mackey Award is given annually to the most outstanding collegiate tight end.
Presented since 2000, the John Mackey Award lists 13 alumni to have played in the NFL.
Houston is one of just three Mountain West tight ends named to the John Mackey Award Watch List, along with Colorado State senior Kivon Cartwright and San Jose State sophomore Billy Freeman. Houston is also one of just two tight ends from Utah recognized along with BYU senior Devin Mahina.
In all, Houston is one of just 38 Football Bowl Subdivision tight ends named to the John Mackey Award Watch List, including one of eight sophomores.
Entering his sophomore season, Houston is also named a preseason third-team all-Mountain West selection by Phil Steele.
Houston, a 6-foot-5, 245-pounder from Tualatin, Oregon (Horizon Christian HS), played the final seven games of the 2013 season and made three starts as a freshman after beginning the year as a potential redshirt, and he finished the year with seven receptions for 118 yards (16.9 ypr) with two touchdowns.
The 2014 Mackey Midseason Watch List will be announced Oct. 13, the semifinalists will be named Nov. 17, and the finalists will be announced Nov. 24. The winner of the 2014 John Mackey Award will be announced as part of the Home Depot College Football Awards Show on Dec. 11.
Utah State opens the 2014 season on Sunday, Aug. 31, at Tennessee and plays its first home game the following weekend against Idaho State on Saturday, Sept. 6 at 6 p.m.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU workhorse running back Nate...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 74
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 24