USU football: Wyatt Houston named to John Mackey Award Watch List
Ravell Call, Deseret News
Utah State sophomore tight end Wyatt Houston was named to the 2014 John Mackey Award Watch List, it was announced Tuesday by the National College Football Awards Association. The John Mackey Award is given annually to the most outstanding collegiate tight end.
Presented since 2000, the John Mackey Award lists 13 alumni to have played in the NFL.
Houston is one of just three Mountain West tight ends named to the John Mackey Award Watch List, along with Colorado State senior Kivon Cartwright and San Jose State sophomore Billy Freeman. Houston is also one of just two tight ends from Utah recognized along with BYU senior Devin Mahina.
In all, Houston is one of just 38 Football Bowl Subdivision tight ends named to the John Mackey Award Watch List, including one of eight sophomores.
Entering his sophomore season, Houston is also named a preseason third-team all-Mountain West selection by Phil Steele.
Houston, a 6-foot-5, 245-pounder from Tualatin, Oregon (Horizon Christian HS), played the final seven games of the 2013 season and made three starts as a freshman after beginning the year as a potential redshirt, and he finished the year with seven receptions for 118 yards (16.9 ypr) with two touchdowns.
The 2014 Mackey Midseason Watch List will be announced Oct. 13, the semifinalists will be named Nov. 17, and the finalists will be announced Nov. 24. The winner of the 2014 John Mackey Award will be announced as part of the Home Depot College Football Awards Show on Dec. 11.
Utah State opens the 2014 season on Sunday, Aug. 31, at Tennessee and plays its first home game the following weekend against Idaho State on Saturday, Sept. 6 at 6 p.m.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 48
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39