“You don’t even know,” Exum said. “The training camp is good and everything. I love to get out on the court and learn to play with my teammates. I’m happy that we’ve got three more days and then we’re going to start playing together.”
When Vegas is in the rear-view mirror, Exum said he has another Jazz experience he’d like to have. When asked about the “Assisted” autobiography that’s visible on his bookshelf in an Instagram photo, the young athlete admitted he’d love to work out with the book’s author, John Stockton.
“I hope I get to talk to him and the Jazz bring him in and he gets to teach me a few things,” Exum said. “It’s something I want. I haven’t said yet (to the Jazz). It’s only my third day here.”
Exum’s dad, Cecil, a former basketball player, has told stories of rooming with the Hall of Famer when they were at the Portsmouth Invitational in 1984 before their pro careers. The elder Exum also talked about the way the legendary point guard patiently and persistently worked into being the player he became.
“My dad’s talked about him and how he did and how he got into the league. (Stockton) came in and he wasn’t the man right way,” the Jazz rookie said, referring to how No. 12 was Rickey Green’s backup for the first three and a half seasons of his career. “He worked his way up. You look at him and what he’s done over his career, you definitely look up to that.”
One other thing Exum looked forward to on his first day of practice in Utah?
Using the gift he received from Jazz center Derrick Favors — a bottle of hair-care product named after his country.
“He gave me ‘Aussie’ shampoo, (which) I actually haven’t seen before,” Exum said, smiling. “I’m about to go hit the showers and test that out.”
NOTES: The Jazz announced their 2014 preseason schedule. It includes home games against the Blazers (Oct. 7), Clippers (Oct. 13) and Suns (Oct. 24) along with road contests in Portland (Oct. 9) and three outings in Los Angeles (Oct. 16-19). ... Nevada guard Jerry Evans is not able to participate with Utah in this Summer League because of an undisclosed medical condition. ... The Jazz will host a free scrimmage/practice Thursday (7 p.m.) at EnergySolutions Arena.
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24