SALT LAKE CITY — The cost of filling up at the gas pump is rising like the heat in July.
According to AAA, Utah fuel prices in May showed the greatest increase in the nation — jumping 28 cents per gallon, then held steady in June. This month, the average price rose 14 cents, AAA reported.
The current average price for regular gasoline in the Beehive State is $3.71 per gallon — the same price as a year ago at this time. The July AAA report showed 17 states nationwide reporting pump prices higher than Utah.
Every Utah city tracked by the report registered double-digit hikes compared with last month, with the largest increase — 15 cents — reported in Moab and Ogden. Vernal had the smallest increase at 11 cents.
Nationally, the average price remained flat at $3.65 per gallon — 18 cents higher than last July. Drivers in Hawaii are paying the most per gallon at $4.34, while California reported the highest average price in the lower 48 states at $4.14.
Joining Hawaii and California as states exceeding the $4 per gallon mark were Alaska and Washington. Meanwhile, drivers in South Carolina paid the lowest average price at $3.37 per gallon.
This year, the national average price of $3.66 per gallon was the highest it has been since 2009, said AAA Utah spokesperson Rolayne Fairclough. But it was well below the all-time high for the date of $4.10 in 2008, she added.
— Jasen Lee
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,...
- Most American high schoolers don't know how...
- Z'Tejas closing after 13 years at The Gateway
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make you...
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Company plans to hire up to 1,000 new...
- The 10 most livable small towns
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 8
- Consumers are padding their checking... 2
- Optimism on the rise for job seekers 2
- Teen drivers hike Utah car insurance 89... 2
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 2
- Before you head off on your vacation,... 2
- How do Americans use their time? 1