Michael Brandy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Officials from the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest and town of Alta have announced that Albion Basin Road is open for the summer.
Alta will sponsor a limited free shuttle service to help reduce automobile traffic into Albion Basin. The shuttle will transport forest visitors from the end of the paved Little Cottonwood Canyon road, state Route 210, in the town of Alta, 2.5 miles to the upper end of Albion Basin road.
Shuttle service will operate Saturdays and Sundays, and holidays including July 24 and Labor Day.
Two 14-passenger vans will operate between 9 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. The shuttle will have three pickup and drop-off points: the lower Albion Base parking lot, Sunnyside parking area/Catherine’s Pass Trailhead, and Cecret Lake Trailhead at Albion Basin Campground. The last van will depart from the Cecret Lake Trailhead at the upper end of the road at 5:30 p.m.
While the shuttle is not mandatory, visitors are encouraged to park their cars at the base in the Albion parking lot and utilize the service on weekends and holidays to reduce resource impacts along the gravel road.
Site reservations for Albion Basin Campground are available beginning July 18. Reservations may be made online at www.recreation.gov or by calling 877-444-6777. The campground may open earlier depending upon snowmelt, with sites available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Draper house explodes into flames (+videos)
- Missouri hiker found dead in hot Wayne County...
- See what the pioneers thought, felt as they...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11