Vai's View: Harvey Langi hopes to transfer from Utah to BYU after returning from LDS mission this week
"Elder Langi asked me if I would help pave the way for a transfer by making some calls," Cusick said. "Frankly, it isn't that unusual for mission presidents to help missionaries with applications, transcripts, ecclesiastic endorsements and yes, even transfers."
President Cusick offered a glimpse into who Elder Langi has become.
"He's a thoroughbred. But you know, thoroughbreds will run you over and go over the fence if left to their own devices. To his credit, Elder Langi initially struggled, but he evolved and became a better missionary every month through his mission. He had a chance to go home a transfer early to enroll in summer school, but he opted to stay and return with his group. He is incredibly humble. I don't think he told any of his companions he was a college athlete.
"His current companion told me he encouraged Elder Langi to try out at BYU or Utah because he was so fit and big, he thought he might earn a scholarship. Elder Langi didn't say a word. His companion's only complaint was that Elder Langi dragged him to a gym every morning at 5 a.m. and he also insisted on having their 9:30 p.m. planning meeting outside where he jumped rope for a half hour while they assessed their day and planned their next day. Apparently, Elder Langi's poor companion was eaten alive by mosquitoes as a result."
Utah does have a trump card: Kalesita Langi.
She wants her son to remain at Utah. "We're a Ute family. We love Coach Whit. We love the U.," she told me. "Utah has been our family and they have been so good to Harvey and to us. If he wants to transfer, I'd rather he transfer to Stanford. I just can't get used to the idea of Harvey wearing blue and playing for BYU."
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 125
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 48
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 29
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 22
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15
- Dick Harmon: While away from BYU, Tejan... 15
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14