Jason Olson, Deseret News Archives
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS — A 7-year-old boy drowned Sunday while swimming at the Cottonwood Heights Recreation Center.
Around 2:30 p.m., a fellow swimmer at the pool spotted the boy underwater and alerted a lifeguard, according to the Cottonwood Heights Police Department. Recreation center staff and other bystanders attempted to revive the boy, who was transported to Intermountain Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.
"When we arrived, lifeguards were already providing life-saving measures, in addition to two nurses that happened to be there off duty," Cottonwood Heights Police Sgt. Corbett Ford said.
It is not yet known why the boy was having difficulty swimming or how long he had been underwater.
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to surprise...
- Couple charged with stealing Hondas from TRAX...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 67
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 38
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 26
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15