Jason Olson, Deseret News Archives
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS — A 7-year-old boy drowned Sunday while swimming at the Cottonwood Heights Recreation Center.
Around 2:30 p.m., a fellow swimmer at the pool spotted the boy underwater and alerted a lifeguard, according to the Cottonwood Heights Police Department. Recreation center staff and other bystanders attempted to revive the boy, who was transported to Intermountain Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.
"When we arrived, lifeguards were already providing life-saving measures, in addition to two nurses that happened to be there off duty," Cottonwood Heights Police Sgt. Corbett Ford said.
It is not yet known why the boy was having difficulty swimming or how long he had been underwater.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- 7 habits of mentally strong people
- Kearns woman sent to prison for running over...
- New center a 'triage unit' for front-line...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 31
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 15
- Can police-community relations be... 14