NORTH LOGAN — One man was arrested Sunday after allegedly firing a gun at a vehicle in a Wal-Mart parking lot.
Officers with the North Park Police Department arrested Stacy Willis at his home in Richmond after receiving reports that Willis had fired two shots at a couple attempting to pull out of the Wal-Mart parking lot at 1550 N. Main, Police Chief Kim Hawkes said.
"We will be communicating with the Cache County Attorney’s Office for possible charges," he said.
At approximately 2:15 p.m., police received reports that the driver of a Chevrolet pickup truck had flagged down a man and woman who were leaving the Wal-Mart store in their Ford F-350, Hawkes said.
Police said Willis pulled the Chevrolet parallel to the second vehicle and accused the driver of owing him money while holding a gun in his lap.
When Doug Saunders, the driver of the Ford, attempted to leave the area, Willis began to follow in his vehicle, Hawkes said. Saunders then backed his truck into Willis' vehicle, at which point Willis allegedly fired two shots at the Ford truck, with one bullet entering through the rear window and exiting out the windshield.
Hawkes said two bullet casings were recovered at the scene.
"I think Mr. Saunders felt that he was in imminent danger with a handgun in (Willis') lap and didn’t want this individual confronting him again, and that was the attempt to disable the vehicle," the police chief said.
Around 5 p.m., officers located the Chevrolet truck near Sky View High School, and Willis was arrested at his home soon after. Hawkes said Willis was not booked into jail Sunday and was being evaluated for an injury that is believed to have occurred prior to the incident at Wal-Mart.
Saunders also told police that he had never met Willis, Hawkes said.
"We’re still trying to answer those question as to the why," he said. "We’re just glad that we don’t have any fatalities."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: bjaminwood
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Woman accused of leaving young son outside...
- Man arrested in connection with baby's death
- Lawmaker's proposal would offer free tuition...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running... 36
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 33
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27