Uncharted territory: Todd Miller, Clark Rustand look back on unusual no-Sunday 2004 State Am finish
“It was a fun tournament for me to have my dad caddy for me,’’ Miller says. “But as I look back at it, I could have handled it differently than I did. In hindsight I definitely would have approached the Utah Golf Association and said, ‘Hey, I want to play in this event, but I don’t plan on playing Sunday.’ I definitely would have done things differently.’’
Rustand says questions about Miller’s forfeit only come up when he returns to Utah and everywhere else he's known as the 2004 Utah Amateur champion. Last year when he came up from Arizona to play in the State Am, a fellow golfer teased him, saying that last year would be the second time ever that the State Am was decided on a Saturday, following Rustand’s Saturday evening victory in 2004.
“It was unfortunate how it transpired and got dragged through the media the following weeks after the State Am,’’ Rustand says. “It was unfortunate for Todd. His intentions were good and he was trying to do the right thing, but it didn’t turn out that way. He took the brunt of that, which was unfortunate.’’
Rustand and Miller remain friends and will text or talk to each other every month or so. But they’ve still never played a round of golf together since 2004.
“It’s always been an ongoing joke between us that someday we’re going to have a match at an undisclosed location and settle it once and for all,’’ Rustand said.
Miller added: “We’ve never done anything with it. Maybe in another few years we’ll bring it up and go out and play.’’
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 112
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 29
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans... 19