Uncharted territory: Todd Miller, Clark Rustand look back on unusual no-Sunday 2004 State Am finish
“It was a fun tournament for me to have my dad caddy for me,’’ Miller says. “But as I look back at it, I could have handled it differently than I did. In hindsight I definitely would have approached the Utah Golf Association and said, ‘Hey, I want to play in this event, but I don’t plan on playing Sunday.’ I definitely would have done things differently.’’
Rustand says questions about Miller’s forfeit only come up when he returns to Utah and everywhere else he's known as the 2004 Utah Amateur champion. Last year when he came up from Arizona to play in the State Am, a fellow golfer teased him, saying that last year would be the second time ever that the State Am was decided on a Saturday, following Rustand’s Saturday evening victory in 2004.
“It was unfortunate how it transpired and got dragged through the media the following weeks after the State Am,’’ Rustand says. “It was unfortunate for Todd. His intentions were good and he was trying to do the right thing, but it didn’t turn out that way. He took the brunt of that, which was unfortunate.’’
Rustand and Miller remain friends and will text or talk to each other every month or so. But they’ve still never played a round of golf together since 2004.
“It’s always been an ongoing joke between us that someday we’re going to have a match at an undisclosed location and settle it once and for all,’’ Rustand said.
Miller added: “We’ve never done anything with it. Maybe in another few years we’ll bring it up and go out and play.’’
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Jordan's Austin Kafentzis will keep his...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 170
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 108
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 51
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 43