Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
VERNAL — A wildfire about 10 miles north of Vernal has now severely damaged three homes or cabins, Bureau of Land Management officials said Sunday.
The Taylor Mountain Road Fire is about 5 percent contained and has burned an estimated 3,569 acres, BLM spokeswoman Kelsey Birchell said.
Evacuation orders were lifted for homes along Taylor Mountain Road and Steinaker State Park on Sunday afternoon.
Jerry Snow, a resident who was evacuated Saturday, said some homeowners in his area were allowed to temporarily return to their homes for belongings. But Snow said he was told the evacuation order could remain in place for several days.
"If we can’t get back in (Monday), we’ll probably look for an RV park or something," he said.
Snow said flames reached a parking area on his property, but he believes the fire has mostly bypassed his home. He and his wife saw the flames approaching and had already begun loading items into a trailer when fire officials arrived.
"You could’ve thrown a stone from my porch to the flames when I left, but the fire department was already there by that time," Snow said.
U.S. 191 is open, but travel restrictions are in place, prohibiting people from stopping along the road to watch or photograph the blaze. The fire is burning grass, brush and pinyon-juniper trees.
Additional firefighting crews were sent to Uintah County to help with the blaze. Birchell said Saturday's efforts were focused on initial attack and structure protection. Crews Sunday worked to build fire lines to help contain the blaze.
Contributing: Dennis Romboy
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: bjaminwood
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt status...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Motley Crue concert delayed about two hours...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- Imagine Dragons treated like home team at...
- Merged resorts relying on familiar feel to...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 298
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 141
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 106
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 77
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 67
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 39
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35