SOUTH SALT LAKE — A gas leak Saturday temporarily shut down several businesses and stopped traffic and TRAX.
South Salt Lake Deputy Fire Chief Kevin Bowman said businesses on both sides of 3300 South — from 300 West to West Temple — were evacuated. Traffic and TRAX were also stopped in the area.
Darren Shepherd with Questar Gas said a contractor accidentally hit a line that began leaking natural gas on 3300 South and about 300 West.
Shepherd said the businesses were closed, evacuated and had their gas shut off.
The call came about 2:30 p.m. Shepherd said crews responded to what looked like about 2 inches of a plastic gas line that had been hit in front of Astro Burger.Comment on this story
Crews worked to dig down on either side of the leak to stop the gas.
"It has taken some time because just like the contractors who accidentally hit it, we've got to carefully dig on opposite sides to make sure we don't hit it again," Shepherd said. "It's careful digging."
Crews will measure for any residual gas in the ground, under the asphalt or in the surrounding buildings, he said.
Shepherd said for anyone digging at home, it's a good idea to check with Blue Stakes of Utah first to avoid hitting any lines.