John Roman, Getty Images/iStockphoto
SALT LAKE CITY — One Salt Lake police officer was stabbed in the back and his partner was injured during a melee that erupted while the two were investigating a reported cellphone theft.
Both officers are expected to recover from their injuries, and multiple arrests were made as a result of the early Saturday morning incident.
The trouble started with the alleged theft of a cellphone from Sugarhouse Park on Friday night.
Salt Lake Police Lt. Carl Merino said the owner used cellphone tracking technology to pinpoint the phone's location to a home at 985 N. Riverside Drive, and called for police assistance at 12:30 a.m.
Merino said two responding officers were investigating the complaint when the situation deteriorated and they were attacked. One officer was stabbed in the back right above his belt, and the other officer also was injured.
Other officers soon arrived and six arrests were made for investigation of multiple charges, including assault on a police officer, interfering with an arrest and riot.
— Amy Joi O'Donoghue
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Hillcrest students, others show support for...
- Harley rider killed in accident identified
- New details in court reveal alleged shooter...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- Students wear green to honor 2 Hillcrest...
- Despite rain, Utahns still have plenty of...
- Mia Love pushing higher education act
- How do Utah wages stack up nationally? 50
- Koch brothers group launches Utah chapter 42
- First prison relocation open house... 38
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Legalize medical marijuana? Utahns... 28
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15