John Roman, Getty Images/iStockphoto
SALT LAKE CITY — One Salt Lake police officer was stabbed in the back and his partner was injured during a melee that erupted while the two were investigating a reported cellphone theft.
Both officers are expected to recover from their injuries, and multiple arrests were made as a result of the early Saturday morning incident.
The trouble started with the alleged theft of a cellphone from Sugarhouse Park on Friday night.
Salt Lake Police Lt. Carl Merino said the owner used cellphone tracking technology to pinpoint the phone's location to a home at 985 N. Riverside Drive, and called for police assistance at 12:30 a.m.
Merino said two responding officers were investigating the complaint when the situation deteriorated and they were attacked. One officer was stabbed in the back right above his belt, and the other officer also was injured.
Other officers soon arrived and six arrests were made for investigation of multiple charges, including assault on a police officer, interfering with an arrest and riot.
— Amy Joi O'Donoghue
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- South Carolina woman dies on Sundance zip line
- Firefighter, 3 others injured in apartment blaze
- 8 injured in 3-car West Haven crash
- Weber County deputies investigating possible...
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy shine...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 31
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 29
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11