John Roman, Getty Images/iStockphoto
SALT LAKE CITY — One Salt Lake police officer was stabbed in the back and his partner was injured during a melee that erupted while the two were investigating a reported cellphone theft.
Both officers are expected to recover from their injuries, and multiple arrests were made as a result of the early Saturday morning incident.
The trouble started with the alleged theft of a cellphone from Sugarhouse Park on Friday night.
Salt Lake Police Lt. Carl Merino said the owner used cellphone tracking technology to pinpoint the phone's location to a home at 985 N. Riverside Drive, and called for police assistance at 12:30 a.m.
Merino said two responding officers were investigating the complaint when the situation deteriorated and they were attacked. One officer was stabbed in the back right above his belt, and the other officer also was injured.
Other officers soon arrived and six arrests were made for investigation of multiple charges, including assault on a police officer, interfering with an arrest and riot.
— Amy Joi O'Donoghue
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Ogden police shoot dog that was allegedly...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- West Nile activity discovered in four Utah...
- See what the pioneers thought, felt as they...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 44
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 21
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12