John Roman, Getty Images/iStockphoto
SALT LAKE CITY — One Salt Lake police officer was stabbed in the back and his partner was injured during a melee that erupted while the two were investigating a reported cellphone theft.
Both officers are expected to recover from their injuries, and multiple arrests were made as a result of the early Saturday morning incident.
The trouble started with the alleged theft of a cellphone from Sugarhouse Park on Friday night.
Salt Lake Police Lt. Carl Merino said the owner used cellphone tracking technology to pinpoint the phone's location to a home at 985 N. Riverside Drive, and called for police assistance at 12:30 a.m.
Merino said two responding officers were investigating the complaint when the situation deteriorated and they were attacked. One officer was stabbed in the back right above his belt, and the other officer also was injured.
Other officers soon arrived and six arrests were made for investigation of multiple charges, including assault on a police officer, interfering with an arrest and riot.
— Amy Joi O'Donoghue
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes 'in...
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- GOP primary in governor's race now focused on...
- Man killed in officer-involved shooting in...
- Utah Symphony gets standing ovation at N.Y.'s...
- Provo transit project set to begin, despite...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 26
- Report: Spending on charter students... 21
- Utah council wants governor, A.G. probe... 18
- FEC complaint filed against Chaffetz by... 16
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries 13