John Roman, Getty Images/iStockphoto
SALT LAKE CITY — One Salt Lake police officer was stabbed in the back and his partner was injured during a melee that erupted while the two were investigating a reported cellphone theft.
Both officers are expected to recover from their injuries, and multiple arrests were made as a result of the early Saturday morning incident.
The trouble started with the alleged theft of a cellphone from Sugarhouse Park on Friday night.
Salt Lake Police Lt. Carl Merino said the owner used cellphone tracking technology to pinpoint the phone's location to a home at 985 N. Riverside Drive, and called for police assistance at 12:30 a.m.
Merino said two responding officers were investigating the complaint when the situation deteriorated and they were attacked. One officer was stabbed in the back right above his belt, and the other officer also was injured.
Other officers soon arrived and six arrests were made for investigation of multiple charges, including assault on a police officer, interfering with an arrest and riot.
— Amy Joi O'Donoghue
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't run...
- Ann Romney on likability, Hillary Clinton, MS...
- West Jordan councilwoman accuses mayor of...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 68
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15
- Lawmakers hear support for Medicaid... 15