Millard County demolition derby official killed in freak accident
DELTA — A Nephi man was killed in a freak accident Friday night at an annual demolition derby held as part of Fourth of July festivities.
The victim was identified by the Millard County Sheriff's Office as Robert Steele, 50.
The sheriff's office said Steele was a visiting official at the derby and because of that role he had situated himself behind a dirt berm to be able to more closely see the arena.
Several people from the stands jumped the fence immediately to assist the ambulance crews that were on standby at the derby. Steele was taken to the Delta Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The accident remains under investigation.
— Amy Joi O'Donoghue
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Family seeks change as poisoned tea...
- Utah County teen made bomb threat, other...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 40
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 33
- Government regulation has become like... 31
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 27
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22