Millard County demolition derby official killed in freak accident
DELTA — A Nephi man was killed in a freak accident Friday night at an annual demolition derby held as part of Fourth of July festivities.
The victim was identified by the Millard County Sheriff's Office as Robert Steele, 50.
The sheriff's office said Steele was a visiting official at the derby and because of that role he had situated himself behind a dirt berm to be able to more closely see the arena.
Several people from the stands jumped the fence immediately to assist the ambulance crews that were on standby at the derby. Steele was taken to the Delta Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The accident remains under investigation.
— Amy Joi O'Donoghue
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed...
- Lawsuit claims State School Board violated...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Investigation into shooting death of Uintah...
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 75
- Republican, Democratic political... 48
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 28
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 23
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 22
- Lawsuit claims State School Board... 20