Millard County demolition derby official killed in freak accident
DELTA — A Nephi man was killed in a freak accident Friday night at an annual demolition derby held as part of Fourth of July festivities.
The victim was identified by the Millard County Sheriff's Office as Robert Steele, 50.
The sheriff's office said Steele was a visiting official at the derby and because of that role he had situated himself behind a dirt berm to be able to more closely see the arena.
Several people from the stands jumped the fence immediately to assist the ambulance crews that were on standby at the derby. Steele was taken to the Delta Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The accident remains under investigation.
— Amy Joi O'Donoghue
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- Three hurt when ATV explodes into flames as...
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 65
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 30
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18