SALT LAKE CITY — A man in a stolen luxury motor home led police on a pursuit through Davis County into South Salt Lake and was involved in a two-hour standoff with officers after he was stopped.
The early Saturday morning incident led to the closure of southbound I-15 for several hours until the man was forced from the vehicle by tear gas and taken into custody, said Utah Highway Patrol Lt. Jeff Nigbur.
The bizarre incident began at 5 a.m. in Sunset, where officers spotted the high-dollar recreational vehicle leaving a dealership. They attempted to stop the motor home, but man behind the wheel refused to pull over.
Davis County sheriff's deputies got involved after the vehicle got on I-15. Troopers made two attempts to spike the vehicle's tires at about 400 North, but the efforts were not successful.
Another trooper deployed a spike strip at about 4500 South, which punctured one tire and forced the driver to stop about a mile away.
Nigbur said the driver then began putting mattresses against the windows and making furtive movements, causing enough alarm that police made the decision to divert southbound traffic off the interstate.
"There was not a lot of traffic out on the road, which was a huge benefit to us," he said. "We are really just lucky it turned out the way it did."
A tactical team eventually used tear gas to force the man out of the recreational vehicle. He was taken into custody by Sunset Police Department.
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for...
- One-third of Utah kids risk becoming...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 85
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 33
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Granite School District reaches... 21
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 12
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 11