Sascha Burkard, Getty Images/iStockphoto
SALT LAKE CITY — A woman is recovering in the hospital after being shot by her boyfriend while he was cleaning his gun.
Salt Lake police responded to a call of an accidental shooting at 500 N. West Capitol in the Capitol Hill neighborhood on Friday.
Investigators said a woman had been shot in the leg by a man identified as her boyfriend. The man claimed to have removed the magazine of his Glock 22 .40-caliber handgun to clean it but failed to unload the chamber when the weapon discharged, striking the woman in the lower thigh.
The 19-year old victim was taken to University Hospital in stable condition. The male, also 19 years old, had no prior criminal record.
Officers said drugs were found at the home but declined to specify what kind. Authorities said various charges are under consideration pending further investigation.
No other injuries were reported.
— Jasen Lee
- BYU student health plan exemption expires
- Woman accused of stabbing girlfriend 46 times...
- 'One drink, one time': New research shows...
- Utah bachelor lets sister set him up on 31...
- $1M in heroin found in 'complex' hidden...
- FBI investigating fatal crash on Ute reservation
- SAGE scores, 2015: Top Utah schools in...
- Herriman woman wants murder charge in death...
- BYU student health plan exemption expires 49
- Popular Provo teacher imprisoned for... 44
- Family of man killed by Spanish Fork... 33
- Does coal have a future in Utah? Should... 27
- Students see 'great growth' in second... 17
- About Utah: He walked around the lake... 15
- Bishop, Chaffetz say EPA knew spill... 15
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage... 13