Sascha Burkard, Getty Images/iStockphoto
SALT LAKE CITY — A woman is recovering in the hospital after being shot by her boyfriend while he was cleaning his gun.
Salt Lake police responded to a call of an accidental shooting at 500 N. West Capitol in the Capitol Hill neighborhood on Friday.
Investigators said a woman had been shot in the leg by a man identified as her boyfriend. The man claimed to have removed the magazine of his Glock 22 .40-caliber handgun to clean it but failed to unload the chamber when the weapon discharged, striking the woman in the lower thigh.
The 19-year old victim was taken to University Hospital in stable condition. The male, also 19 years old, had no prior criminal record.
Officers said drugs were found at the home but declined to specify what kind. Authorities said various charges are under consideration pending further investigation.
No other injuries were reported.
— Jasen Lee
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Fallen hiker had passion for the outdoors,...
- Provo company creates program that filters...
- Family seeks change as poisoned tea...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 56
- Vernal man claims police arrested him... 37
- Utah argues for more time to file... 33
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 27
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22