Sascha Burkard, Getty Images/iStockphoto
SALT LAKE CITY — A woman is recovering in the hospital after being shot by her boyfriend while he was cleaning his gun.
Salt Lake police responded to a call of an accidental shooting at 500 N. West Capitol in the Capitol Hill neighborhood on Friday.
Investigators said a woman had been shot in the leg by a man identified as her boyfriend. The man claimed to have removed the magazine of his Glock 22 .40-caliber handgun to clean it but failed to unload the chamber when the weapon discharged, striking the woman in the lower thigh.
The 19-year old victim was taken to University Hospital in stable condition. The male, also 19 years old, had no prior criminal record.
Officers said drugs were found at the home but declined to specify what kind. Authorities said various charges are under consideration pending further investigation.
No other injuries were reported.
— Jasen Lee
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Utah crafting rules for spending on water,...
- Utah city condemns Confederate flag display...
- Another first: Utah caretaker contracts Zika...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Payson to hold hearing on proposed tax increase
- UDOT plans to upgrade Redwood Road in...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 26
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14