Horrific crash kills infant, teen and woman in I-80 crash
Alex Cabrero, KSL News
TOOELE COUNTY — Three people are dead following a horrific crash on westbound Interstate 80 in Tooele County Friday night.
The Utah Highway Patrol said a pickup traveling eastbound toward Salt Lake City crossed the median and began driving westbound before the driver inexplicably turned around and drove the wrong way in the westbound lane and collided head-on with a sport utility vehicle. Investigators said the driver of the pickup was going about 80 miles per hour into oncoming traffic when he struck the other vehicle.
Officers said alcohol or drugs may be involved. The pickup driver was taken to a local hospital along with the male driver of the SUV. Both have serious injuries but were expected to survive their injuries.
However, three occupants of the SUV were killed, including an adult female, a teenager and an infant. Troopers said the teen and baby were not properly restrained with seatbelts or a child safety seat.
The crash occurred about 32 miles east of Wendover and closed the westbound highway for several hours and created a miles-long backup as holiday motorists waited alongside their cars on the freeway. A single lane was eventually opened before 10 p.m.
The UHP said the crash has added to an already tragic driving season this year. Officials said that 36 people were killed on Utah highways in June alone.
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: JasenLee1
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- Draper house explodes into flames,...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Deseret News Classic: Marathon, half...
- Levan wildfire burns 'well over 1,000' acres...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 16
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 15
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 14
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 13