Horrific crash kills infant, teen and woman in I-80 crash
Alex Cabrero, KSL News
TOOELE COUNTY — Three people are dead following a horrific crash on westbound Interstate 80 in Tooele County Friday night.
The Utah Highway Patrol said a pickup traveling eastbound toward Salt Lake City crossed the median and began driving westbound before the driver inexplicably turned around and drove the wrong way in the westbound lane and collided head-on with a sport utility vehicle. Investigators said the driver of the pickup was going about 80 miles per hour into oncoming traffic when he struck the other vehicle.
Officers said alcohol or drugs may be involved. The pickup driver was taken to a local hospital along with the male driver of the SUV. Both have serious injuries but were expected to survive their injuries.
However, three occupants of the SUV were killed, including an adult female, a teenager and an infant. Troopers said the teen and baby were not properly restrained with seatbelts or a child safety seat.
The crash occurred about 32 miles east of Wendover and closed the westbound highway for several hours and created a miles-long backup as holiday motorists waited alongside their cars on the freeway. A single lane was eventually opened before 10 p.m.
The UHP said the crash has added to an already tragic driving season this year. Officials said that 36 people were killed on Utah highways in June alone.
E-mail: email@example.com, Twitter: JasenLee1
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage license...
- Mia Love paying back money spent on...
- Utah bachelor lets sister set him up on 31...
- Mom whose unbuckled child died was cited for...
- 3 officers file sex harassment lawsuit...
- $1M in heroin found in 'complex' hidden...
- SAGE scores, 2015: Top Utah schools in...
- FBI investigating fatal crash on Ute reservation
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage... 86
- BYU student health plan exemption expires 55
- Popular Provo teacher imprisoned for... 47
- Mia Love paying back money spent on... 46
- Does coal have a future in Utah? Should... 27
- Students see 'great growth' in second... 18
- Bishop, Chaffetz say EPA knew spill... 15
- $1M in heroin found in 'complex' hidden... 12