Utah Jazz to host open practice to public before summer league
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — While all remains mostly quiet on the free agency front for the Utah Jazz, details about a fun event next week have been released.
Before the Jazz embark on their 10-day visit to Las Vegas for summer league, the participants will cap off a training camp with an open practice for fans. The free event will take place next Thursday at EnergySolutions Arena, with doors opening for the 7 p.m. workout at 6 p.m.
Not only will fans be able to check out Jazz draft acquisitions Dante Exum and Rodney Hood, but the first 10,000 spectators to arrive to the arena will receive a T-shirt featuring the two rookies.
Utah hasn’t made its summer league squad public yet, but it will feature eight players who are under contract for the 2014-15 season. That group includes Exum, the fifth pick, Hood (23rd), All-Rookie honoree Trey Burke, center Rudy Gobert, reigning Las Vegas Summer League championship game MVP Ian Clark, guard Diante Garrett, and forwards Malcolm Thomas and Erik Murphy.
Former University of Utah center Jason Washburn also confirmed on Twitter that he’ll be on the Jazz’s squad.
This will be the first year for the Jazz in the Las Vegas NBA Summer League, which runs from July 11-21. Twenty-four teams will participate and play in at least five games in the tournament-style format.
The Jazz have three games on the schedule at the Thomas & Mack Center on UNLV's campus: July 12 vs. Philadelphia, July 14 vs. Milwaukee (featuring, of course, Jabari Parker) and July 15 vs. Denver.
All three of those games will be telecast locally by KJZZ 14 and will be broadcast on NBA TV (not all live).
Fans will be able to participate in a Q&A session with new Jazz coach Quin Snyder at the open practice, which will be emceed by TV broadcaster Craig Bolerjack. Players will also do some autographs.
- Morning links: BYU letting fans tailgate;...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still dismissed...
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham...
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- Pac-12 notebook: Whittingham clarifies...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 101
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 76
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 52
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32