• Feast upon, not just read, the word of God on a daily basis. Our minds will be opened and we will gain insight and find great strength as we discipline ourselves to study the stories, teachings and doctrines of the gospel in the scriptures.
• Pray. True prayer is not kneeling and reeling off a quick, rote prayer. Prayer demands intense concentration, persistence and perseverance if we hope to commune with our Heavenly Father. We also cannot simply talk at God but we must listen and obey what he would have us do, and we must persist if we do not receive an immediate answer.
• Regularly attend church and partake of the sacrament. We need to “repetitively” renew our covenant “to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places.” As we regularly attend and bring a humble spirit with us to church, we will be edified, uplifted and strengthened.
• Serve others. We can’t just know the gospel of Jesus Christ, we must do the gospel of Jesus Christ to be true disciples. We have to get on the bike, pedal furiously and observe where we can help others; then go and help.
Each one of us who seeks to become a disciple of Christ will face resistance in the world in which we live. We need to recognize resistance as an opportunity to build greater spiritual strength, and this is best accomplished as we spiritually exercise by engaging in scripture study, prayer, attending church and performing charitable acts of service.
Kristine Frederickson writes on issue-oriented topics that affect members of the LDS Church worldwide in her column “LDS World." She teaches part-time at BYU. Her views do not necessarily represent those of BYU.
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- LDS missionaries share messages about...
- 6 Mormon sisters share uplifting music with...
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- Well-prepared LDS Scouts rescue couple off...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Video purports to show second beheading of US...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 66
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 18
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 9
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former... 6
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks 3
- Brigham Young, Utah War topic of... 3