The Winkels gave him Watchtower and Awake! magazines for May and June, along with an invitation to the upcoming convention. After joking back and forth, they discussed the contents of the magazines and relevant scriptures before parting ways, the Winkels promising to return the next month. Williams put the magazines in a cardboard box that held editions dating back to December 2010.
"Though we may have some differences in our thoughts and our views on certain things, fact is we're all serving God, regardless of denominations," Williams said.
Carol Winkel has gone door to door in Chicago, New York, Kentucky and Utah and sees key differences in how Witnesses are welcomed during their ministry. People were "more abrupt" in the former two cities than in Kentucky and Utah.
"I think (Utahns) in general find it important to be polite when you come to their door and that makes for a very pleasant experience," she said.
Many in the state engage in discussions about the Bible, which is something her husband appreciates.
"Whether they're interested in Bible truths or not, people are willing. If they're LDS, they've either been on a mission or they have a grandson on a mission or you know something like that," Bryan Winkel said. "They want to be polite and friendly, so you have an opportunity to have a nice discussion with people."
While Carol Winkel appreciates dealing with the kindness of Utahns, she said it "takes discernment" to distinguish those who sincerely want to learn about their message from those who are simply trying to be nice.
"You don't want them just tolerating you and they aren't actually interested. So it takes some discernment to find out what they're really interested in."
Anyone can attend the conventions for free and come and go as they please. For more information on locations, times and daily convention programs visit jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/conventions/.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: whitevs7
- LDS sister missionary from Kaysville killed...
- Sister Linda K. Burton writes about emotional...
- Defending the Faith: The Book of Mormon...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces virtual...
- David Archuleta says ‘most fulfilling...
- Pianist Paul Cardall visits LDS Adriatic...
- Praying together to stay together? The role...
- RootsTech presenter shares tips for using...
- Defending the Faith: The Book of Mormon... 57
- Darwin Day notwithstanding, evolution... 18
- LDS sister missionary from Kaysville... 14
- Wheaton provost apologizes to Larycia... 11
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces 7... 8
- LDS missionary department leader: Zika... 8
- Bernie Sanders supported religious... 8
- Evangelical leaders denounce Selective... 5