Next time you whip out your emoji keyboard, type with caution.
The emoji most commonly thought of as two hands clasped in prayer may actually be two friends high-fiving, according to an article by Popsugar.
This comes on the heels of Unicode's announcement last month on the arrival of 250 new emojis, some religious, like a variety of crosses, and some not so religious, like the middle finger.
The outrage on Twitter is palpable, with many users expressing their concern over the new revelation.
Just found out this emoji 🙏 is a high five not a prayer symbol... Everything is a lie— Marnie Manning (@cowboycorndog) June 30, 2014
Other users claim to have known the "truth" about the emoji all along.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA PEOPLE THOUGHT THAT THE HIGH FIVE EMOJI WAS A PRAYER EMOJI HAHAHAHAHAHA— Dave Manziel (@DaveOhSo) July 1, 2014
🙏 < everyone uses this as a prayer emoji but Im fairly certain its a high five THINK ABOUT IT— mama advil (@Advil) July 21, 2013
But some remain indifferent.
HONESTLY WHY DOES IT MATTER IF ITS A HIGH FIVE OR PRAYER EMOJI? IF YOU PRAY YOU DESERVE A HIGH FIVE SO— hayden (@hayden_annn) July 23, 2013
The user above does have a point, but the concern over the true meaning of the emoji may point to a larger trend in which millenials feel more confident talking about God in public places.
Scott Neuman of NPR writes, "Barely half of millennials say they look to religion for guidance, but a higher percentage 'talk to God,' suggesting that the 18-to-34 demographic is more spiritual than sectarian, according to a new survey by the Integrated Innovation Institute at Carnegie Mellon University."
But two Twitter users are almost positive the emoji is, in fact, a person praying. Here's how they know:
And, we can't argue with that logic.
Brittany Binowski is a senior web producer for Deseret National. You may contact her at email@example.com.
- Young performing LDS missionary shares...
- Two apostles visit Northern South America,...
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- Mormon neighbors help Catholic nuns with...
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of prophets
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 46
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of... 8
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 6
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- 5 unusual places of worship 5
- 10 religious leaders you may not know... 5
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in... 4
- Over half a million people attended... 4