Want to help our veterans this Fourth of July? Here's how
During firework displays this Fourth of July, some war veterans with PTSD may be seeing stars -- and not in a good way.
An imgur user posted a photo online reminding citizens to warn their neighbors who may be veterans if they plan to release fireworks during their Independence Day celebrations.
“When you’re detonating your Independence Day payload, please keep the servicemen in your area in mind,” wrote the imgur user. “PTSD is serious business. Thank you.”
But how do you know which veterans in your neighbor may have PTSD? Another imgur user in another post emphasized the importance of asking.
“People (especially we veterans) don't always like to talk about our problems, so you may not know if we have PTSD,” wrote the user. “Some of us love fireworks, but for some of us, it can trigger thoughts and memories we're trying to forget A little courtesy can go a long way.”
This inspired more than 200 comments, including some that spoke back in appreciation of America and the soldiers who have served.
One commenter, Cyndakill, wrote, “Sometimes when you're celebrating freedom you have to remember that there are those who still bear the scars it was bought with.”
As Deseret News National reported last week, PTSD is a major concern in the United States, with seven out of every 100 people having the disorder in their lives. It’s recently inspired new ways of treatment, Deseret News National reported, like video games and technology.
This is something that’s been hitting the mainstream media, too. Time magazine published an opinion piece about how Veterans Affairs needs to take more of an interest in PTSD treatment.
“Now the mission is to ensure quality care is widespread, and to learn whether treatment is helping, who benefits most (and least) and why,” wrote C. Bartley Frueh and Sally Satel of Time. “Veterans with PTSD deserve the best care possible; accountability is critical to seeing that they get it.”
- Did woman sway boy to kill his dad? Court...
- Terminating parental rights: State policies...
- Woman struck, killed by duck boat in downtown...
- Obama out: President takes last shots at...
- Man abandoned 30 years ago tries to find his...
- South Africa: Rescued lions explore new home...
- US once again forced to turn to Russia for...
- Kentucky Confederate monument to be removed...
- Thousands threaten to boycott Target... 89
- Former Speaker Boehner calls Cruz... 56
- Cruz taps Fiorina to serve as running mate 40
- Violence follows California Trump... 35
- ... 35
- New poll finds Americans less likely to... 34
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Kasich calls for balance on gay rights,... 23