New toll booth needed to cover costs of visitors to reservoir, mayor says
Michael Anderson, Deseret News
HUNTSVILLE, Weber County — A trip to Pineview Reservoir may now cost vacationers an additional $5.
A new toll booth began operating last week on 100 S. 6800 West in Huntsville. The road is commonly used to access the lake at Cemetery Point. Toll booth worker Leslie Roylance said most drivers are understanding, but some are not.
"Some will say, 'Well, we're not coming back again,' you know, or some are just disappointed that it's up," Roylance said.
City leaders said the additional fees will help cover road maintenance, garbage cleanup, a parking enforcement officer and additional portable toilets.
"We're pretty much under siege in this quaint little town," Huntsville Mayor Jim Truett said. "Anywhere between 30,000 and 40,000 vehicles come through that toll between Memorial Day and Labor Day."
Nearby homeowners say they've had to pick up much of the garbage left behind on their own.
"It's just frustrating that people can't haul their own trash out," Jenna Holt said. "Sometimes in the fall, we'll get three big garbage bags."
Just a couple of miles down the road from Huntsville's new toll booth is another private booth run by American Land & Leisure. The company used to collect $13, reserving $1 for city expenses, but the two entities recently failed to agree on a new contract. A company representative said there were some disagreements on how much is needed for road maintenance costs. Both sides, however, said the new toll booth isn't set in stone. Contract negations are still ongoing.
"We didn't want to put this toll up," Truett said, "but we had no choice."
- Man steals woman's boarding pass, checks into...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he...
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- 107 years of Grace: Cedar City resident still...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Police: Draper man stole mail from more than...
- Police identify body found on Ben Lomond...
- 200 gather at Utah Capitol in support... 48
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 35
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 30
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 22
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 16
- Utah GOP, state appear headed to court... 12
- A new approach: What the poor can teach... 8