New toll booth needed to cover costs of visitors to reservoir, mayor says
Michael Anderson, Deseret News
HUNTSVILLE, Weber County — A trip to Pineview Reservoir may now cost vacationers an additional $5.
A new toll booth began operating last week on 100 S. 6800 West in Huntsville. The road is commonly used to access the lake at Cemetery Point. Toll booth worker Leslie Roylance said most drivers are understanding, but some are not.
"Some will say, 'Well, we're not coming back again,' you know, or some are just disappointed that it's up," Roylance said.
City leaders said the additional fees will help cover road maintenance, garbage cleanup, a parking enforcement officer and additional portable toilets.
"We're pretty much under siege in this quaint little town," Huntsville Mayor Jim Truett said. "Anywhere between 30,000 and 40,000 vehicles come through that toll between Memorial Day and Labor Day."
Nearby homeowners say they've had to pick up much of the garbage left behind on their own.
"It's just frustrating that people can't haul their own trash out," Jenna Holt said. "Sometimes in the fall, we'll get three big garbage bags."
Just a couple of miles down the road from Huntsville's new toll booth is another private booth run by American Land & Leisure. The company used to collect $13, reserving $1 for city expenses, but the two entities recently failed to agree on a new contract. A company representative said there were some disagreements on how much is needed for road maintenance costs. Both sides, however, said the new toll booth isn't set in stone. Contract negations are still ongoing.
"We didn't want to put this toll up," Truett said, "but we had no choice."
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- 14 things you didn't know about dreams
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks judge not...
- Teen injured in Memorial Day crash dies
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- We're not in Utah anymore — photos of...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 42
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 39
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 24
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 23
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17
- Salt Lake City leaders announce... 15