Body recovered from Arkansas River believed to be missing Vernal woman
Ed Andrieski, Associated Press
SALIDA, Colo. — Authorities in Colorado believe they have recovered the body of a Vernal woman who has been missing since her raft overturned Saturday in the runoff-swollen Arkansas River.
A person on the bank of the river spotted "something suspicious" below the surface about 6 p.m., according to Chaffee County Undersheriff John Spezze. Deputies and firefighters were called to the scene and recovered a woman's body.
"Official identification won't come until the coroner does official identification," Spezze said, "but the family was there tonight, and we're almost 100 percent certain it's Amanda Taylor."
Taylor, 31, as rafting with six others when their boat went over a diversion dam Saturday night. Five of the people were able to get out of the water on their own and call for help. Rescue crews pulled a sixth person from the water Saturday night, but had to call off the search for Taylor due to darkness.
The body found Wednesday night was pulled from the water about 3 miles downstream from where Taylor went into the water, Spezze said. A pathologist in Colorado Springs is expected to conduct an autopsy Thursday to confirm the identification and determine the cause of death, the undersheriff said.
— Geoff Liesik
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- Employee error ruins 41 acres of Salt Lake...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls his...
- 4-year-old boy gets new ear with aid of a 3-D...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 47
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 35
- Meetings to resolve Medicaid expansion... 29
- Critics worry firing squad law will... 28
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 23
- Tea party movement still strong,... 22
- Salt Lake City to become next Google... 17
- Firing squad's return in Utah may... 14