Body recovered from Arkansas River believed to be missing Vernal woman
Ed Andrieski, Associated Press
SALIDA, Colo. — Authorities in Colorado believe they have recovered the body of a Vernal woman who has been missing since her raft overturned Saturday in the runoff-swollen Arkansas River.
A person on the bank of the river spotted "something suspicious" below the surface about 6 p.m., according to Chaffee County Undersheriff John Spezze. Deputies and firefighters were called to the scene and recovered a woman's body.
"Official identification won't come until the coroner does official identification," Spezze said, "but the family was there tonight, and we're almost 100 percent certain it's Amanda Taylor."
Taylor, 31, as rafting with six others when their boat went over a diversion dam Saturday night. Five of the people were able to get out of the water on their own and call for help. Rescue crews pulled a sixth person from the water Saturday night, but had to call off the search for Taylor due to darkness.
The body found Wednesday night was pulled from the water about 3 miles downstream from where Taylor went into the water, Spezze said. A pathologist in Colorado Springs is expected to conduct an autopsy Thursday to confirm the identification and determine the cause of death, the undersheriff said.
— Geoff Liesik
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride Center's...
- 'You can see the jaw marks': Pleasant Grove...
- 1 dead in Uintah County after track hoe...
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in Provo
- Sister missionaries relocated from Provo MTC...
- Ask a Chef: 3 funeral potato recipes that...
- Farmington woman tumbles 150 feet in hiking...
- Utah farmer turns alfalfa field into the...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 96
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 55
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 41
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 38
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 28
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12