Body recovered from Arkansas River believed to be missing Vernal woman
Ed Andrieski, Associated Press
SALIDA, Colo. — Authorities in Colorado believe they have recovered the body of a Vernal woman who has been missing since her raft overturned Saturday in the runoff-swollen Arkansas River.
A person on the bank of the river spotted "something suspicious" below the surface about 6 p.m., according to Chaffee County Undersheriff John Spezze. Deputies and firefighters were called to the scene and recovered a woman's body.
"Official identification won't come until the coroner does official identification," Spezze said, "but the family was there tonight, and we're almost 100 percent certain it's Amanda Taylor."
Taylor, 31, as rafting with six others when their boat went over a diversion dam Saturday night. Five of the people were able to get out of the water on their own and call for help. Rescue crews pulled a sixth person from the water Saturday night, but had to call off the search for Taylor due to darkness.
The body found Wednesday night was pulled from the water about 3 miles downstream from where Taylor went into the water, Spezze said. A pathologist in Colorado Springs is expected to conduct an autopsy Thursday to confirm the identification and determine the cause of death, the undersheriff said.
— Geoff Liesik
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Two rescued after falling through ice at...
- Driver in DUI crash that maimed 11-year-old...
- Got an emergency? You can now text 911 in 3...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 28
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Report: Communication breakdowns... 10
- About Utah: Selling bikes the... 7