What's new: Orson F. Whitney as an apostle, historian, and poet
Orson F. Whitney sprang from prominent pioneer blood. His grandfathers were Newell K. Whitney and Heber C. Kimball. This lineage alone might lead one to suppose Orson F. Whitney would become a man of exhaustive faith and refreshing boldness.
While he would come to be recognized for these qualities, Whitney’s life was also a complicated one. Much like those who seek truth today, he faced the turmoil and self-doubt of one whose path to discipleship was not easy.
His life as presented in “The Life of Orson F. Whitney: Historian, Poet, Apostle,” shows Whitney as a very human and relatable man. His own words often identify his struggles with self-confidence, receiving assurance of his worth and calling from the Lord, and moving forward in faith.
The same man whose pursuit of purpose led him to declare that “for several years (before serving a mission), nothing seemed to prosper with me,” would later share a vision of the Savior in Gethsemane that softened the hard-hearted and melted those whose hearts yearned to hear testimony of such beautiful truth.
Whitney was a fervent defender of truth whatever its source. “Truth is truth,” he believed, “where’er ‘tis found, On Christian or on heathen ground.”
“The Life of Orson Whitney” is the story of a truth-seeker relevant to truth-seekers today.
Author Dennis B. Horne is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and he has published several doctrinal and biographical works over the past 15 years. Some of his other biographical works include examinations of the lives of Elder Bruce R. McConkie, President Lorenzo Snow and Elder Abraham H. Cannon.
Now, Horne opens the challenges, faith, talents and life of Whitney.
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The Book...
- LDS mom qualifies for U.S. Olympic Marathon...
- My Plan: A new tool to help LDS missionaries...
- LDS Church leaders share personal photos and...
- ‘Ambushed’ officer: God told me...
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles regardless of...
- The best Christian workplaces in 2015
- ValueSpeak: 'Goodbye, Farewell and Amen'
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in... 48
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The... 26
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles... 25
- Defending the Faith: FairMormon... 20
- Russians' views on religion are... 16
- 5 faith facts about Jim Gilmore:... 8
- LDS World: Western author Wallace... 6
- Jerry Earl Johnston: My latest minuet... 4