What's new: Orson F. Whitney as an apostle, historian, and poet
Orson F. Whitney sprang from prominent pioneer blood. His grandfathers were Newell K. Whitney and Heber C. Kimball. This lineage alone might lead one to suppose Orson F. Whitney would become a man of exhaustive faith and refreshing boldness.
While he would come to be recognized for these qualities, Whitney’s life was also a complicated one. Much like those who seek truth today, he faced the turmoil and self-doubt of one whose path to discipleship was not easy.
His life as presented in “The Life of Orson F. Whitney: Historian, Poet, Apostle,” shows Whitney as a very human and relatable man. His own words often identify his struggles with self-confidence, receiving assurance of his worth and calling from the Lord, and moving forward in faith.
The same man whose pursuit of purpose led him to declare that “for several years (before serving a mission), nothing seemed to prosper with me,” would later share a vision of the Savior in Gethsemane that softened the hard-hearted and melted those whose hearts yearned to hear testimony of such beautiful truth.
Whitney was a fervent defender of truth whatever its source. “Truth is truth,” he believed, “where’er ‘tis found, On Christian or on heathen ground.”
“The Life of Orson Whitney” is the story of a truth-seeker relevant to truth-seekers today.
Author Dennis B. Horne is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and he has published several doctrinal and biographical works over the past 15 years. Some of his other biographical works include examinations of the lives of Elder Bruce R. McConkie, President Lorenzo Snow and Elder Abraham H. Cannon.
Now, Horne opens the challenges, faith, talents and life of Whitney.
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- LDS missionaries share messages about...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Well-prepared LDS Scouts rescue couple off...
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Comic: Overcome with the spirit
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 56
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 17
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 7
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former... 6
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks 3
- Brigham Young, Utah War topic of... 3