Mormon Tabernacle Choir video highlights performance for Helen Keller in Salt Lake
Mormon Tabernacle Choir YouTube
Richard Elliot, the current organist for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, recently related the story of Helen Keller's visit to Salt Lake City in 1941.
"There's a story about Helen Keller visiting the Tabernacle in the early 1940s. She was here to receive a Braille copy of the Book of Mormon, and while she was here, they invited her to address the crowd here in the Tabernacle the next evening," Elliot said in a video posted to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's YouTube channel Tuesday.
"At the end of her address, she actually turned to the president of the church and said, 'I have a favor to ask of you.' So he came running up to the pulpit, and she said, 'I would like to hear your famous hymn about the Mormon pioneers.' "
President Heber J. Grant led Keller, who was deaf and blind, to the organ. She placed her hands on top of it, so she could fee the vibrations as the organist played "Come, Come Ye Saints."
Renowned LDS poet Emma Lou Thayne was present at the Tabernacle that night, Elliot explained, and later recounted that she saw Keller begin to cry as the music played.
This same account, along with other facts about the Tabernacle, was also shared during a C-Span video published in June.
Email: email@example.com | Twitter: @Sarah_DNews
- All 4 of Joseph Smith's firsthand accounts of...
- Mormon humanitarian Bishnu Adhikari, family...
- LDS Church to create Central Eurasian Mission...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Euphemisms can't capture...
- 21 Shakespeare quotes shared in LDS general...
- President Uchtdorf speaks at inaugural John...
- Head of Salt Lake Catholic diocese named...
- Ground broken for Star Valley Wyoming Temple
- Q-and-A with Elder Oaks: Protecting... 122
- Defending the Faith: Warfare and the... 72
- All 4 of Joseph Smith's firsthand... 65
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Euphemisms can't... 35
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 22
- 5 professional athletes who stand up... 22
- Faith leaders call for religious... 18
- Utah woman produces her own Book of... 16