Scott G Winterton, Deseret News Archives
FARMINGTON — The Davis School District and Utah Teacher of the Year has received national honors.
Allison Riddle, a fifth-grade teacher at Foxboro Elementary, has been selected as one of five recipients of the national 2015 Horace Mann Awards for Teaching Excellence. Riddle was chosen from among 39 honorees of the National Education Association Foundation’s Awards for Teaching Excellence.
Previously, Riddle was named Davis School District’s Teacher of the Year in 2012-13. She was recently honored as the 2014 Utah Teacher of the Year.
All 39 state honorees will attend the Salute to Excellence in Education Gala in Washington, D.C., on Feb. 13. At that event, the nation’s top educator — chosen from among the five finalists — will be announced.
Each honoree’s school received a $650 award. Riddle and the other finalists also received $10,000 cash awards. The top educator will receive an additional $25,000.
“We give these awards annually to honor and promote excellence in education and to elevate the profession. Educators like these are critical to their students’ academic success, and they deserve national recognition,” said Harriet Sanford, president and CEO of the NEA Foundation.
“I love what I do each day,” Riddle said. “Watching my students progressing and sharing their successes and challenges with their parents is deeply rewarding.”
In addition to teaching fifth grade at a year-round elementary school, Riddle also mentors provisional teachers and is a consultant for a math company.
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million mark,...
- Updated newborn screening test picks up rare...
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex parents...
- District attorney asks A.G. to consider...
- Several national parks vandalized, including...
- Two killed in high-speed, fiery crash into...
- 2 hospitalized after 6-car pileup in Centerville
- National Guard, DPS weigh possible...
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 126
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 97
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex... 75
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 61
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 45
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 34
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million... 31
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 19