Man in extremely critical condition after motorcycle collides with minivan
SALT LAKE CITY — A man was in extremely critical condition after a motorcycle collided with a minivan on I-15 Wednesday afternoon, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
The accident was on the southbound side of the freeway at 500 North around 1 p.m.
"We had a single-occupant motorcycle driving southbound. Traffic was at a standstill or moving slow. (The motorcycle) was coming into traffic a little fast," UHP Sgt. Blaine Robbins said.
A witness told police they saw the motorcycle begin to sway back and forth. The bike crashed into the back of a minivan that had slowed for traffic from the earlier accidents, "glanced off the vehicle (and) hit the wall," Robbins said.
The impact into the noise reduction wall caused the man's helmet to come off. He continued to travel down the wall for 25 feet to 30 feet before landing on his head, Robbins said.
UHP originally reported the 47-year-old driver as dead but later said the man was alive with serious injuries.
Investigators said they are not sure how fast the man was driving before impact.
Traffic was delayed on southbound I-15, and the southbound 600 North exit was shut down.
Robbins cautioned those who will be traveling during the holiday weekend to exercise caution and watch for break lights 10 to 12 seconds ahead in the road.
"(There's) no room for error. There's going to be a lot more traffic," he said. "We want people to be able to have fun and to go do these things, but just be careful."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: whitevs7
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay...
- Wanted Layton man dies in New Mexico plane crash
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt status...
- Alleged sexual abuser on the run for 17 years...
- Doug Robinson: Weber State track coach isn't...
- Motley Crue concert delayed about two hours...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 303
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 141
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 109
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 77
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 68
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 46
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 46
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 36