Man in extremely critical condition after motorcycle collides with minivan
SALT LAKE CITY — A man was in extremely critical condition after a motorcycle collided with a minivan on I-15 Wednesday afternoon, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
The accident was on the southbound side of the freeway at 500 North around 1 p.m.
"We had a single-occupant motorcycle driving southbound. Traffic was at a standstill or moving slow. (The motorcycle) was coming into traffic a little fast," UHP Sgt. Blaine Robbins said.
A witness told police they saw the motorcycle begin to sway back and forth. The bike crashed into the back of a minivan that had slowed for traffic from the earlier accidents, "glanced off the vehicle (and) hit the wall," Robbins said.
The impact into the noise reduction wall caused the man's helmet to come off. He continued to travel down the wall for 25 feet to 30 feet before landing on his head, Robbins said.
UHP originally reported the 47-year-old driver as dead but later said the man was alive with serious injuries.
Investigators said they are not sure how fast the man was driving before impact.
Traffic was delayed on southbound I-15, and the southbound 600 North exit was shut down.
Robbins cautioned those who will be traveling during the holiday weekend to exercise caution and watch for break lights 10 to 12 seconds ahead in the road.
"(There's) no room for error. There's going to be a lot more traffic," he said. "We want people to be able to have fun and to go do these things, but just be careful."
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: whitevs7
- Police reviewing possible nightclub photos of...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Missionary, police testify against man...
- Woman who drank toxic tea credits God, family...
- Apparent lightning strike hits Duchesne...
- Man charged with killing baby in Ogden told...
- Many questions remain in case of baby found...
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 46
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 40
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 30
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 22
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22