Man in extremely critical condition after motorcycle collides with minivan
SALT LAKE CITY — A man was in extremely critical condition after a motorcycle collided with a minivan on I-15 Wednesday afternoon, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
The accident was on the southbound side of the freeway at 500 North around 1 p.m.
"We had a single-occupant motorcycle driving southbound. Traffic was at a standstill or moving slow. (The motorcycle) was coming into traffic a little fast," UHP Sgt. Blaine Robbins said.
A witness told police they saw the motorcycle begin to sway back and forth. The bike crashed into the back of a minivan that had slowed for traffic from the earlier accidents, "glanced off the vehicle (and) hit the wall," Robbins said.
The impact into the noise reduction wall caused the man's helmet to come off. He continued to travel down the wall for 25 feet to 30 feet before landing on his head, Robbins said.
UHP originally reported the 47-year-old driver as dead but later said the man was alive with serious injuries.
Investigators said they are not sure how fast the man was driving before impact.
Traffic was delayed on southbound I-15, and the southbound 600 North exit was shut down.
Robbins cautioned those who will be traveling during the holiday weekend to exercise caution and watch for break lights 10 to 12 seconds ahead in the road.
"(There's) no room for error. There's going to be a lot more traffic," he said. "We want people to be able to have fun and to go do these things, but just be careful."
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: whitevs7
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over their...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Romney decision not to run again disappoints...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Utah's largest oil producer lays off 80...
- Jury exonerates Marc Jenson in fraud, money...
- State School Board explores budget cuts as...
- 7 unique adventure dates for two, on the cheap
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 204
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over... 143
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 39
- Romney decision not to run again... 36
- LDS statement could move Utah... 31
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 25
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 24
- Business community supports tax... 22