Man in extremely critical condition after motorcycle collides with minivan
SALT LAKE CITY — A man was in extremely critical condition after a motorcycle collided with a minivan on I-15 Wednesday afternoon, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
The accident was on the southbound side of the freeway at 500 North around 1 p.m.
"We had a single-occupant motorcycle driving southbound. Traffic was at a standstill or moving slow. (The motorcycle) was coming into traffic a little fast," UHP Sgt. Blaine Robbins said.
A witness told police they saw the motorcycle begin to sway back and forth. The bike crashed into the back of a minivan that had slowed for traffic from the earlier accidents, "glanced off the vehicle (and) hit the wall," Robbins said.
The impact into the noise reduction wall caused the man's helmet to come off. He continued to travel down the wall for 25 feet to 30 feet before landing on his head, Robbins said.
UHP originally reported the 47-year-old driver as dead but later said the man was alive with serious injuries.
Investigators said they are not sure how fast the man was driving before impact.
Traffic was delayed on southbound I-15, and the southbound 600 North exit was shut down.
Robbins cautioned those who will be traveling during the holiday weekend to exercise caution and watch for break lights 10 to 12 seconds ahead in the road.
"(There's) no room for error. There's going to be a lot more traffic," he said. "We want people to be able to have fun and to go do these things, but just be careful."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: whitevs7
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Seeking social media 'likes' could cause...
- About Utah: How this Utahn turned a chance...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 65
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18