U.S. lost its World Cup game, but Tim Howard won the Internet
Natacha Pisarenko, Associated Press
Doubts about the U.S.'s chances of a lengthy showing in the World Cup were validated Tuesday when Belgium beat America 2-1.
Yet when the dust settled, the Internet had already chosen a clear winner: U.S. goal keeper Tim Howard.
Howard was on fire Tuesday, racking up a record 16 saves that branded him on the Internet's consciousness as nothing short of an American hero, as CNN, Mashable and many on Twitter postulated. CNN published a list of tweets comparing Howard to Jesus Christ and by Wednesday morning, hardly a cranny of the Internet didn't include some sort of story about Howard.
NPR reported that someone even named Howard the U.S. defense secretary in a gag Wikipedia article. One of Twitter's top trending hashtags is #ThingsTimHowardCouldSave, which gave rise to a meme of the same name — depicting Howard edited into iconic moments, including Mufasa's death in "The Lion King," the original "Jaws" poster and the extinction of dinosaurs.
But perhaps Grantland writer Brian Phillips summed the fandemonium up best in an article about the match.
"When I try to come to terms with what Tim Howard did yesterday, my brain just, like, kaleidoscopes," Phillips said. "I’ve never seen anything like what Tim Howard did yesterday."
- BYU special teams features some 'mystery and...
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU...
- Former UNC coach Dean Smith willed $200 to...
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU rugby...
- Utah Jazz assistants (well, two of 'em)...
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL president...
- Duke's Okafor presents big Sweet 16 challenge...
- Utah’s Wright, BYU’s Collinsworth...
- Utes to face Duke in the Sweet 16... 206
- A 16th Sweet 16 for the Utes, as Utah... 67
- BYU looking forward to an influx of... 53
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill is making a... 31
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 28
- It's Coach K vs. Coach K as Utah... 22
- Ogden chooses to play as an independent... 20
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 19