U.S. lost its World Cup game, but Tim Howard won the Internet
Natacha Pisarenko, Associated Press
Doubts about the U.S.'s chances of a lengthy showing in the World Cup were validated Tuesday when Belgium beat America 2-1.
Yet when the dust settled, the Internet had already chosen a clear winner: U.S. goal keeper Tim Howard.
Howard was on fire Tuesday, racking up a record 16 saves that branded him on the Internet's consciousness as nothing short of an American hero, as CNN, Mashable and many on Twitter postulated. CNN published a list of tweets comparing Howard to Jesus Christ and by Wednesday morning, hardly a cranny of the Internet didn't include some sort of story about Howard.
NPR reported that someone even named Howard the U.S. defense secretary in a gag Wikipedia article. One of Twitter's top trending hashtags is #ThingsTimHowardCouldSave, which gave rise to a meme of the same name — depicting Howard edited into iconic moments, including Mufasa's death in "The Lion King," the original "Jaws" poster and the extinction of dinosaurs.
But perhaps Grantland writer Brian Phillips summed the fandemonium up best in an article about the match.
"When I try to come to terms with what Tim Howard did yesterday, my brain just, like, kaleidoscopes," Phillips said. "I’ve never seen anything like what Tim Howard did yesterday."
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest rivalry...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 48
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39