U.S. lost its World Cup game, but Tim Howard won the Internet
Natacha Pisarenko, Associated Press
Doubts about the U.S.'s chances of a lengthy showing in the World Cup were validated Tuesday when Belgium beat America 2-1.
Yet when the dust settled, the Internet had already chosen a clear winner: U.S. goal keeper Tim Howard.
Howard was on fire Tuesday, racking up a record 16 saves that branded him on the Internet's consciousness as nothing short of an American hero, as CNN, Mashable and many on Twitter postulated. CNN published a list of tweets comparing Howard to Jesus Christ and by Wednesday morning, hardly a cranny of the Internet didn't include some sort of story about Howard.
NPR reported that someone even named Howard the U.S. defense secretary in a gag Wikipedia article. One of Twitter's top trending hashtags is #ThingsTimHowardCouldSave, which gave rise to a meme of the same name — depicting Howard edited into iconic moments, including Mufasa's death in "The Lion King," the original "Jaws" poster and the extinction of dinosaurs.
But perhaps Grantland writer Brian Phillips summed the fandemonium up best in an article about the match.
"When I try to come to terms with what Tim Howard did yesterday, my brain just, like, kaleidoscopes," Phillips said. "I’ve never seen anything like what Tim Howard did yesterday."
- BYU jumps into national spotlight after big...
- Holmoe assesses the state of the program as...
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the NFL,...
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU matchup...
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars held...
- Best of the West: Arizona back to top seed...
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the tournament?;...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 107
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 81
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 42
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 36
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 35
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 31