SALT LAKE CITY — Police officers subdued and arrested two men who they say attacked them Wednesday morning.
Medical crews responded to a call of a man who reported his brother had taken a combination of cocaine and methamphetamine around 1:30 a.m. at 1655 Riverside Drive.
Upon arriving, responders found Emmanuel Oling, 21, who began acting "strangely," according to Salt Lake police detective Cody Lougy. Medical crews left the home and waited for police to arrive.
Officers found Oling with a belt around his neck. He would not respond to them and threw a blanket on top of his body. Officers saw Oling's body go limp, so they picked him up to bring him out to medical responders.
The man awoke after the officers removed the belt from his neck, and he began fighting the officers, police said.
"It got out of hand. He kicked an officer several times, slugged one in the chin," said Salt Lake Police Lt. Dave Cracroft.
The uninjured officer used a Taser to subdue Oling. Upon seeing the Taser deployed, the man's brother David Oling, 20, allegedly began attacking the officers. Police called in backup and subdued him without using a Taser.
The brothers were booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of assaulting an officer and obstructing justice.
"Thank goodness nobody was seriously hurt," Cracroft said.
Most Salt Lake police officers are trained as part of a crisis intervention team, Lougy said. As part of their training, they are taught to use their Tasers, batons and pepper spray before resorting to lethal force.
"We're constantly trying to de-escalate," Lougy said.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: whitevs7
- Man steals woman's boarding pass, checks into...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- New protocol to help domestic violence...
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- 107 years of Grace: Cedar City resident still...
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick meal,...
- Health experts encourage safe food handling...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 26
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 16
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- Utah GOP, state appear headed to court... 12
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 10
- Ex A.G. John Swallow wants FBI, DOJ... 7