SALT LAKE CITY — Police officers subdued and arrested two men who they say attacked them Wednesday morning.
Medical crews responded to a call of a man who reported his brother had taken a combination of cocaine and methamphetamine around 1:30 a.m. at 1655 Riverside Drive.
Upon arriving, responders found Emmanuel Oling, 21, who began acting "strangely," according to Salt Lake police detective Cody Lougy. Medical crews left the home and waited for police to arrive.
Officers found Oling with a belt around his neck. He would not respond to them and threw a blanket on top of his body. Officers saw Oling's body go limp, so they picked him up to bring him out to medical responders.
The man awoke after the officers removed the belt from his neck, and he began fighting the officers, police said.
"It got out of hand. He kicked an officer several times, slugged one in the chin," said Salt Lake Police Lt. Dave Cracroft.
The uninjured officer used a Taser to subdue Oling. Upon seeing the Taser deployed, the man's brother David Oling, 20, allegedly began attacking the officers. Police called in backup and subdued him without using a Taser.
The brothers were booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of assaulting an officer and obstructing justice.
"Thank goodness nobody was seriously hurt," Cracroft said.
Most Salt Lake police officers are trained as part of a crisis intervention team, Lougy said. As part of their training, they are taught to use their Tasers, batons and pepper spray before resorting to lethal force.
"We're constantly trying to de-escalate," Lougy said.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: whitevs7
- Hillcrest students, others show support for...
- Police: 2 teens killed in Sandy crash...
- 'Another piece to the puzzle': Census reveals...
- First prison relocation open house changes...
- Warrant issued for Vernal mother accused of...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- New details in court reveal alleged shooter...
- Prosecutors file new charge against ex-Utah...
- How do Utah wages stack up nationally? 50
- Koch brothers group launches Utah chapter 42
- First prison relocation open house... 38
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 30
- Legalize medical marijuana? Utahns... 28
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- Utah's air pollution problem: What does... 17