SALT LAKE CITY — Police officers subdued and arrested two men who they say attacked them Wednesday morning.
Medical crews responded to a call of a man who reported his brother had taken a combination of cocaine and methamphetamine around 1:30 a.m. at 1655 Riverside Drive.
Upon arriving, responders found Emmanuel Oling, 21, who began acting "strangely," according to Salt Lake police detective Cody Lougy. Medical crews left the home and waited for police to arrive.
Officers found Oling with a belt around his neck. He would not respond to them and threw a blanket on top of his body. Officers saw Oling's body go limp, so they picked him up to bring him out to medical responders.
The man awoke after the officers removed the belt from his neck, and he began fighting the officers, police said.
"It got out of hand. He kicked an officer several times, slugged one in the chin," said Salt Lake Police Lt. Dave Cracroft.
The uninjured officer used a Taser to subdue Oling. Upon seeing the Taser deployed, the man's brother David Oling, 20, allegedly began attacking the officers. Police called in backup and subdued him without using a Taser.
The brothers were booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of assaulting an officer and obstructing justice.
"Thank goodness nobody was seriously hurt," Cracroft said.
Most Salt Lake police officers are trained as part of a crisis intervention team, Lougy said. As part of their training, they are taught to use their Tasers, batons and pepper spray before resorting to lethal force.
"We're constantly trying to de-escalate," Lougy said.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: whitevs7
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- YouTube star Stuart Edge hopes to inspire...
- Two suffer minor injuries in gyrocopter crash...
- Intermountain Healthcare taps new CEO
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail without a...
- Missing Millard County woman's body found...
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 14
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11