ST. GEORGE — Oak Grove campground will be closed until further notice due to severe fire hazard in southern Utah and the one-way in, one-way out access into the campground.
Crews notified campers Tuesday morning.
Fire restrictions are in effect for most of southwest Utah due to drought conditions and hot temperatures.
"It is a long way up there to Oak Grove. If a fire were to start at the bottom, anyone in that campground would not be in a good spot," said Ken Henson, fire management officer for the Pine Valley Ranger District.
"With the current fire conditions we are looking at, closing Oak Grove Campground is a necessary step for ensuring public safety," said Joe Rechsteiner, the Pine Valley District ranger.
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- Fight Like Girls group helps women battle...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 37
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 16