ST. GEORGE — Oak Grove campground will be closed until further notice due to severe fire hazard in southern Utah and the one-way in, one-way out access into the campground.
Crews notified campers Tuesday morning.
Fire restrictions are in effect for most of southwest Utah due to drought conditions and hot temperatures.
"It is a long way up there to Oak Grove. If a fire were to start at the bottom, anyone in that campground would not be in a good spot," said Ken Henson, fire management officer for the Pine Valley Ranger District.
"With the current fire conditions we are looking at, closing Oak Grove Campground is a necessary step for ensuring public safety," said Joe Rechsteiner, the Pine Valley District ranger.
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- Pleasant Grove homeowner shoot, kills man in...
- Report highlights earth-shattering increases...
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- Women innovators leading by example
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 32
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 14
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 12
- Attorney: Woman on trial in deputy's... 10
- Jury convicts San Juan County... 10
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps... 9