ST. GEORGE — Oak Grove campground will be closed until further notice due to severe fire hazard in southern Utah and the one-way in, one-way out access into the campground.
Crews notified campers Tuesday morning.
Fire restrictions are in effect for most of southwest Utah due to drought conditions and hot temperatures.
"It is a long way up there to Oak Grove. If a fire were to start at the bottom, anyone in that campground would not be in a good spot," said Ken Henson, fire management officer for the Pine Valley Ranger District.
"With the current fire conditions we are looking at, closing Oak Grove Campground is a necessary step for ensuring public safety," said Joe Rechsteiner, the Pine Valley District ranger.
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Hillcrest students, others show support for...
- Harley rider killed in accident identified
- New details in court reveal alleged shooter...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- Students wear green to honor 2 Hillcrest...
- Despite rain, Utahns still have plenty of...
- Mia Love pushing higher education act
- How do Utah wages stack up nationally? 50
- Koch brothers group launches Utah chapter 42
- First prison relocation open house... 38
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Legalize medical marijuana? Utahns... 28
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15