ST. GEORGE — Oak Grove campground will be closed until further notice due to severe fire hazard in southern Utah and the one-way in, one-way out access into the campground.
Crews notified campers Tuesday morning.
Fire restrictions are in effect for most of southwest Utah due to drought conditions and hot temperatures.
"It is a long way up there to Oak Grove. If a fire were to start at the bottom, anyone in that campground would not be in a good spot," said Ken Henson, fire management officer for the Pine Valley Ranger District.
"With the current fire conditions we are looking at, closing Oak Grove Campground is a necessary step for ensuring public safety," said Joe Rechsteiner, the Pine Valley District ranger.
- BYU student health plan exemption expires
- Woman accused of stabbing girlfriend 46 times...
- 'One drink, one time': New research shows...
- Utah bachelor lets sister set him up on 31...
- $1M in heroin found in 'complex' hidden...
- FBI investigating fatal crash on Ute reservation
- SAGE scores, 2015: Top Utah schools in...
- Herriman woman wants murder charge in death...
- BYU student health plan exemption expires 49
- Popular Provo teacher imprisoned for... 44
- Family of man killed by Spanish Fork... 33
- Does coal have a future in Utah? Should... 27
- Students see 'great growth' in second... 17
- About Utah: He walked around the lake... 15
- Bishop, Chaffetz say EPA knew spill... 15
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage... 13