These four recipes from local authors or local publishers share festive treats in red, white and blue.
In "The Romney Family Table," Ann Romney shares that her favorite holiday is Independence Day and the family midday barbecue includes a sheet cake decorated with fruit to look like the U.S. flag.
1 recipe Best White Cake (see below)
Blueberries, strawberries and/or raspberries
½ cup butter, melted
1 pound (3½ to 4 cups) powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk
Make cake according to directions (see below), baking in a 9-by-13-inch pan at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool.
For frosting, blend butter, powdered sugar and vanilla with mixer. Add milk until frosting reaches desired consistency.
Decorate according to picture with blueberries and raspberries or sliced strawberries.
Best White Cake:
Goes well with homemade vanilla ice cream
½ cup butter
1½ cups sugar
2¼ cups triple-sifted cake flour
2½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup milk, divided
2 extra-large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the cake flour, baking powder, salt and 2⁄3 cup of milk. Beat on medium speed about two minutes.
Whisk the eggs into the remaining 1⁄3 cup of milk, add the vanilla, pour into the batter, and beat another two minutes.
Grease two 9-inch round cake pans and line with parchment paper. Divide batter evenly into pans. Bake on center rack of oven 20 to 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Leave the cake layers in the pans for a couple of minutes, then remove to cake racks for cooling.
— "The Romney Family Table" by Ann Romney
1 cup shredded coconut, for garnish
1 (18.25-ounce) box white cake mix (disregard instructions on box)
1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
1⁄3 cup milk
4 egg whites
1 (6-ounce) carton blueberry yogurt
1 (6-ounce) carton strawberry yogurt
1 (6-ounce) carton coconut yogurt or vanilla yogurt plus 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut extract
Red and blue food coloring
Cream cheese frosting of your choice
½ teaspoon coconut extract
- Family walks from Disneyland to Disney World...
- The Clean Cut: 'Kid History' stars create...
- BYU's Vocal Point releases new video with The...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: For Mother's Day,...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- 18 TV mothers you wish were your own
- Britain's new princess can't expect...
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson...
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson... 6
- Steve Eaton: eBay exile is small price... 6
- Parents, do your kids trust the... 5
- Britain's new princess can't expect... 4
- BYU's Vocal Point releases new video... 4
- Linda & Richard Eyre: For Mother's Day,... 3
- The case for renewing the War on Poverty 2
- The little-known benefit to cleaning... 2