These four recipes from local authors or local publishers share festive treats in red, white and blue.
In "The Romney Family Table," Ann Romney shares that her favorite holiday is Independence Day and the family midday barbecue includes a sheet cake decorated with fruit to look like the U.S. flag.
1 recipe Best White Cake (see below)
Blueberries, strawberries and/or raspberries
½ cup butter, melted
1 pound (3½ to 4 cups) powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk
Make cake according to directions (see below), baking in a 9-by-13-inch pan at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool.
For frosting, blend butter, powdered sugar and vanilla with mixer. Add milk until frosting reaches desired consistency.
Decorate according to picture with blueberries and raspberries or sliced strawberries.
Best White Cake:
Goes well with homemade vanilla ice cream
½ cup butter
1½ cups sugar
2¼ cups triple-sifted cake flour
2½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup milk, divided
2 extra-large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the cake flour, baking powder, salt and 2⁄3 cup of milk. Beat on medium speed about two minutes.
Whisk the eggs into the remaining 1⁄3 cup of milk, add the vanilla, pour into the batter, and beat another two minutes.
Grease two 9-inch round cake pans and line with parchment paper. Divide batter evenly into pans. Bake on center rack of oven 20 to 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Leave the cake layers in the pans for a couple of minutes, then remove to cake racks for cooling.
— "The Romney Family Table" by Ann Romney
1 cup shredded coconut, for garnish
1 (18.25-ounce) box white cake mix (disregard instructions on box)
1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
1⁄3 cup milk
4 egg whites
1 (6-ounce) carton blueberry yogurt
1 (6-ounce) carton strawberry yogurt
1 (6-ounce) carton coconut yogurt or vanilla yogurt plus 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut extract
Red and blue food coloring
Cream cheese frosting of your choice
½ teaspoon coconut extract
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- 5 parenting lessons from movies
- Sutton Foster promises 'an intimate look at...
- Living with Children: Late nights, not school...
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Steve Eaton: Hobo tarantulas should get back...
- Study: Action-packed TV might make you snack...
- Staying faithful: How the Internet changed...
- It's about time the government... 12
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 8
- Parents respond to Nicki Minaj's 'vile'... 7
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Living with Children: Late nights, not... 3
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could... 3
- 5 parenting lessons from movies 3
- Face time vs. screen time: The... 2