Sue Ogrocki, Associated Press
Liberals are wrong to label Monday's Supreme Court ruling in favor of Hobby Lobby as a loss for liberalism, according to The Week's Damon Linker.
"Why should even a single woman have to endure any extra burden at all when it comes to her reproductive health?" Linker wrote on Tuesday. "Because we live in a world, and in a country, in which some people (including some women) disagree with your vision of the good — and you don't always get to use government coercion to force them to act in ways that violate their beliefs."
According to Linker, allowing individuals and companies freedom to express belief, even if it seems inconvenient or unnecessary, is key to a core element of liberalism: Pluralism.
- Letter: Climate change is unjustified rhetoric
- Letter: We can do better
- John Florez: Teach our children the love of...
- David Butterfield: Utah boxing legends...
- In our opinion: Navajo Nation looks to combat...
- In our opinion: Recent drowning of 800...
- My view: Problems with Rep. Mike Noel’s...
- Jay Evensen: U.S. silence troubling amid...
- Richard Davis: A historic moment for... 60
- Jay Evensen: U.S. silence troubling... 58
- Letter: Fair living wage 33
- Letter: Climate change is unjustified... 31
- In our opinion: Time to separate food... 25
- A. Scott Anderson: Overregulation hurts... 25
- Letter: We can do better 25
- Letter: Pledge for respect 24