Utah basketball coach Larry Krystkowiak promotes Tommy Connor on Utes' staff
Lennie Mahler, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Tommy Connor has a new title. On Tuesday, Utah men’s basketball coach Larry Krystkowiak gave his top assistant a promotion. Connor has been elevated to associate head coach.
“Tommy’s experience as a head coach is something that I value greatly and so I think the time is right to promote him to associate head coach,” Krystkowiak said in a statement announcing the move. "His passion and love for the game, this team, and the University of Utah is something I share.”
Connor, a former point guard and four-year starter for the Utes, has been with the program as an assistant coach before and after a 12-year stint at Westminster College. During his tenure as head coach of the Griffins, Connor’s teams had a 264-114 record.
After his playing career at Utah, Connor spent seven years assisting the Utes — three as a graduate assistant and four as a full-time staffer under Rick Majerus. He rejoined the Utes when Krystkowiak was hired in 2011.
"I am humbled and appreciate the support and recognition from Coach Krystkowiak in making this decision,” Connor said in the announcement. “I am very grateful for the opportunity to work with Larry and our staff at the University of Utah and have great confidence in the direction the program is headed."
Connor, a five-time Frontier Conference Coach of the Year, is joined on Krystkowiak’s staff by full-time assistants DeMarlo Slocum and Andy Hill. Norm Parrish is the director of operations and Phil Cullen serves as director of player development/camps.
“Tommy is an invaluable member of our staff, just like all the other coaches I’m fortunate to work with on a daily basis,” Krystkowiak continued. “I’m very lucky to be surrounded by coaches who practice what we preach and buy in to the team mentality.”
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- A Super Bowl 1st-timer, Utah native Sealver...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 67
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 38
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 32
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 29
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 29
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 25