Utah basketball coach Larry Krystkowiak promotes Tommy Connor on Utes' staff
Lennie Mahler, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Tommy Connor has a new title. On Tuesday, Utah men’s basketball coach Larry Krystkowiak gave his top assistant a promotion. Connor has been elevated to associate head coach.
“Tommy’s experience as a head coach is something that I value greatly and so I think the time is right to promote him to associate head coach,” Krystkowiak said in a statement announcing the move. "His passion and love for the game, this team, and the University of Utah is something I share.”
Connor, a former point guard and four-year starter for the Utes, has been with the program as an assistant coach before and after a 12-year stint at Westminster College. During his tenure as head coach of the Griffins, Connor’s teams had a 264-114 record.
After his playing career at Utah, Connor spent seven years assisting the Utes — three as a graduate assistant and four as a full-time staffer under Rick Majerus. He rejoined the Utes when Krystkowiak was hired in 2011.
"I am humbled and appreciate the support and recognition from Coach Krystkowiak in making this decision,” Connor said in the announcement. “I am very grateful for the opportunity to work with Larry and our staff at the University of Utah and have great confidence in the direction the program is headed."
Connor, a five-time Frontier Conference Coach of the Year, is joined on Krystkowiak’s staff by full-time assistants DeMarlo Slocum and Andy Hill. Norm Parrish is the director of operations and Phil Cullen serves as director of player development/camps.
“Tommy is an invaluable member of our staff, just like all the other coaches I’m fortunate to work with on a daily basis,” Krystkowiak continued. “I’m very lucky to be surrounded by coaches who practice what we preach and buy in to the team mentality.”
- MVP Jimmer Fredette puts on a show at the...
- Emery scores 31 as BYU crushes Santa Clara,...
- Dick Harmon: Unique perspectives from new...
- Jimmer Fredette named D-League All-Star MVP,...
- Former BYU, Davis High runner Jared Ward...
- Dick Harmon: The night the rim got wide as a...
- Jazz's trio of Rising Stars reflects on...
- Brad Rock: Utah Jazz smart to avoid coaching...
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to... 73
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 61
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 50
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 45
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Morning links: Kyle Van Noy, Eric... 38