LDS Church releases video about the history of women and full-time missionary service
Since President Thomas S. Monson's 2012 announcement reducing the minimum age for full-time missionary service, LDS men and women have joined the throng of proselytizing young adults in increasing numbers.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' growing missionary program now includes 20,000 single women whose predecessors are the subject of a video released Monday on the Mormon Newsroom website.
The video is part of a Church History Department series and focuses on Elizabeth McCune, a woman whose influence in England led to the calling of the first full-time sister missionaries in 1898.
Sister missionaries have received additional attention this week in a June 29 article in The Tampa Tribune. The article by Michelle Bearden highlights the two women's proselytizing efforts outside a Broadway performance of "The Book of Mormon" musical and emphasizes how their service has deepened their friendship and their commitment to the LDS Church.
"Going on a mission takes you out of yourself and puts the focus on others,” Jennifer Knight, author of a book for sister missionaries, told Bearden. “It cultivates the spirit like nothing else can. It’s life-altering, and it will forever change how you look at things.”
Emily Eyring is the Faith and Family Web producer for DeseretNews.com.
- 185th Semiannual General Conference talk...
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Sunday School leader apologizes for...
- President Thomas S. Monson: 'Be an Example...
- LDS video features apostles' first testimonies
- Unique LDS temple, high-rise apartment...
- Photos: LDS general conference Sunday morning...
- President Russell M. Nelson: 'A Plea to My...
- Elders Rasband, Stevenson, Renlund... 46
- Unique LDS family doctrine still drives... 32
- Unique LDS temple, high-rise apartment... 29
- 3 new LDS apostles will be 98th, 99th,... 27
- Pope meeting with Kim Davis sparks... 15
- In Saturday's General Conference... 15
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 15
- Sunday School leader apologizes for... 13