LDS Church releases video about the history of women and full-time missionary service
Since President Thomas S. Monson's 2012 announcement reducing the minimum age for full-time missionary service, LDS men and women have joined the throng of proselytizing young adults in increasing numbers.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' growing missionary program now includes 20,000 single women whose predecessors are the subject of a video released Monday on the Mormon Newsroom website.
The video is part of a Church History Department series and focuses on Elizabeth McCune, a woman whose influence in England led to the calling of the first full-time sister missionaries in 1898.
Sister missionaries have received additional attention this week in a June 29 article in The Tampa Tribune. The article by Michelle Bearden highlights the two women's proselytizing efforts outside a Broadway performance of "The Book of Mormon" musical and emphasizes how their service has deepened their friendship and their commitment to the LDS Church.
"Going on a mission takes you out of yourself and puts the focus on others,” Jennifer Knight, author of a book for sister missionaries, told Bearden. “It cultivates the spirit like nothing else can. It’s life-altering, and it will forever change how you look at things.”
Emily Eyring is the Faith and Family Web producer for DeseretNews.com.
- 35 memorable photos from the LDS Church News...
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian faith...
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new movie,...
- 2 LDS teens create video to share Mormon beliefs
- 1964 World's Fair pavilion had far-reaching...
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with... 18
- LDS Church leaders share excitement for... 14
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members 10
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be... 6
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote... 5
- 1964 World's Fair pavilion had... 4
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new... 4