LDS Church releases video about the history of women and full-time missionary service
Since President Thomas S. Monson's 2012 announcement reducing the minimum age for full-time missionary service, LDS men and women have joined the throng of proselytizing young adults in increasing numbers.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' growing missionary program now includes 20,000 single women whose predecessors are the subject of a video released Monday on the Mormon Newsroom website.
The video is part of a Church History Department series and focuses on Elizabeth McCune, a woman whose influence in England led to the calling of the first full-time sister missionaries in 1898.
Sister missionaries have received additional attention this week in a June 29 article in The Tampa Tribune. The article by Michelle Bearden highlights the two women's proselytizing efforts outside a Broadway performance of "The Book of Mormon" musical and emphasizes how their service has deepened their friendship and their commitment to the LDS Church.
"Going on a mission takes you out of yourself and puts the focus on others,” Jennifer Knight, author of a book for sister missionaries, told Bearden. “It cultivates the spirit like nothing else can. It’s life-altering, and it will forever change how you look at things.”
Emily Eyring is the Faith and Family Web producer for DeseretNews.com.
- This is even more evidence that Jesus may...
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- Helping people deal with criticisms against...
- Mormon Channel releases gritty videos of real...
- How serving an LDS mission prepared me for...
- Defending the Faith: Parallels between Lehite...
- LDS Church will continue Boy Scout program
- 8 interesting facts about the Toronto Ontario...
- LDS Church will continue Boy Scout program 256
- Marching band not allowed to perform... 105
- Defending the Faith: Parallels between... 44
- LDS Church releases statement after... 28
- Mormon woman will be first female West... 16
- This is even more evidence that Jesus... 12
- Is there too much faith in college... 12
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a... 9