LDS Church releases video about the history of women and full-time missionary service
Since President Thomas S. Monson's 2012 announcement reducing the minimum age for full-time missionary service, LDS men and women have joined the throng of proselytizing young adults in increasing numbers.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' growing missionary program now includes 20,000 single women whose predecessors are the subject of a video released Monday on the Mormon Newsroom website.
The video is part of a Church History Department series and focuses on Elizabeth McCune, a woman whose influence in England led to the calling of the first full-time sister missionaries in 1898.
Sister missionaries have received additional attention this week in a June 29 article in The Tampa Tribune. The article by Michelle Bearden highlights the two women's proselytizing efforts outside a Broadway performance of "The Book of Mormon" musical and emphasizes how their service has deepened their friendship and their commitment to the LDS Church.
"Going on a mission takes you out of yourself and puts the focus on others,” Jennifer Knight, author of a book for sister missionaries, told Bearden. “It cultivates the spirit like nothing else can. It’s life-altering, and it will forever change how you look at things.”
Emily Eyring is the Faith and Family Web producer for DeseretNews.com.
- Seeking and sorrowing: Sisters of the Prophet...
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries...
- Are church youth dances outdated?
- Returned Mormon missionary wins Ms. Virginia...
- Rare LDS Church document discovered that...
- Orem pediatrician 'happy' to help...
- Defending the Faith: The mystery of the...
- Elder Nelson dedicates Life Sciences...
- Defending the Faith: The mystery of the... 77
- Are church youth dances outdated? 61
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries... 45
- Returned Mormon missionary wins Ms.... 38
- Elder Nelson dedicates Life Sciences... 13
- Okla. attorney general wants private... 13
- Thousands of Churches to Join April 26... 10
- Seeking and sorrowing: Sisters of the... 9