LDS Church releases video about the history of women and full-time missionary service
Since President Thomas S. Monson's 2012 announcement reducing the minimum age for full-time missionary service, LDS men and women have joined the throng of proselytizing young adults in increasing numbers.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' growing missionary program now includes 20,000 single women whose predecessors are the subject of a video released Monday on the Mormon Newsroom website.
The video is part of a Church History Department series and focuses on Elizabeth McCune, a woman whose influence in England led to the calling of the first full-time sister missionaries in 1898.
Sister missionaries have received additional attention this week in a June 29 article in The Tampa Tribune. The article by Michelle Bearden highlights the two women's proselytizing efforts outside a Broadway performance of "The Book of Mormon" musical and emphasizes how their service has deepened their friendship and their commitment to the LDS Church.
"Going on a mission takes you out of yourself and puts the focus on others,” Jennifer Knight, author of a book for sister missionaries, told Bearden. “It cultivates the spirit like nothing else can. It’s life-altering, and it will forever change how you look at things.”
Emily Eyring is the Faith and Family Web producer for DeseretNews.com.
- Pope Francis: The world's at war, but not a...
- Pope visits Auschwitz in silence, meets...
- Pope urges clergy to go into the world, tend...
- Bill would prevent LGBT discrimination at...
- Pioneer Day sunrise service: 'A legacy of faith'
- Days of '47 Parade: 'Pioneers: Inspiring...
- Twila Van Leer: Wow! I'm part of history, too
- Wright Words: What I learned on a trail near...
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 45
- Democrats and Republicans double-down... 34
- 'Duck Dynasty' star: Media,... 26
- 5 prayers to God that were just uttered... 22
- Defending the Faith: The 18th annual... 21
- Can Hillary Clinton finally close the... 17
- The Clean Cut: New BYU football video... 15
- Great quote, Tim Kaine, but John Wesley... 12